Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #471 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

The two girls look like CT but I may be wrong, also color I believe is "wild type" or "wild color" at least that's what it looks like from the pictures. Although the third one looks like it could be as some call "red devil" which is just black body and red fins, but hard to tell from the photos. I could be completely wrong on that lol
The boy looks more like a super delta, an HM has more "corners" on his tail and this one is "rounded"
Old 04-11-2013, 10:05 PM   #472 
justmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
The two girls look like CT but I may be wrong, also color I believe is "wild type" or "wild color" at least that's what it looks like from the pictures. Although the third one looks like it could be as some call "red devil" which is just black body and red fins, but hard to tell from the photos. I could be completely wrong on that lol
The boy looks more like a super delta, an HM has more "corners" on his tail and this one is "rounded"
Thank you, I am definitely still learning, but getting better. The last two pics are actually the same girl. The first shows her color, but I thought the second showed her tail better. They are both colored pretty much the same. I can't be sure, but I think they are related. According to my pet store "some lady brought her 5 bettas in because she couldn't care for them anymore." What I believe likely happen is she had a sorority, mistaking the male in the first pic as a girl, and when they didn't get along she just got rid of them. Fine with me, I got these to beauties for $4 a piece,
Old 04-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #473 
Hadoken Kitty

I don't know if I agree that the female is crowntail. I have a few HM/ SDet females that have a few rays that stick out from the webbing, but this is more normal in females. I also have a few CT females, so it makes telling the different much easier. CT females' rays will protrude from the webbing more. I do, however, agree on the wild type coloring.

I would also say that the male is PK. You can tell by the rounded caudal. The anal fin also has a slope which is typical of PK/ not found in normal splendens.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:20 AM   #474 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken Kitty View Post
I don't know if I agree that the female is crowntail. I have a few HM/ SDet females that have a few rays that stick out from the webbing, but this is more normal in females. I also have a few CT females, so it makes telling the different much easier. CT females' rays will protrude from the webbing more.
Shoot you're right, I completely forgot about the ones like halfsun which seems more like what she is to me. But yeah she could just be a little HM as well.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #475 
justmel

I wasn't thinking my girl there was a full Crowntail, like you said Hadoken, the ray don't stick out enough. I was guessing she might have the CT gene in her though and be a combtail or halfsun like lilnaugrim mentioned.

I was confused by wild type though. I thought that was an actually type of betta, not a coloration. Still, that is one of them I told my family the two of them might be. So glad to know I really AM learning something here.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #476 
Hadoken Kitty

Wild type is both type and coloration. When dealing with Splendens, some have the wild type's (actual type) coloration, but it is still a Splenden. This is just to describe it. You can also call it a multicolor, but wild type paints a vivid mental image of exactly what the fish looks like. It doesn't mean that it is a legitimate Wild type of betta. It's just a Betta Splenden with wild type markings/coloration. (:
Old 04-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #477 
justmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken Kitty View Post
Wild type is both type and coloration. When dealing with Splendens, some have the wild type's (actual type) coloration, but it is still a Splenden. This is just to describe it. You can also call it a multicolor, but wild type paints a vivid mental image of exactly what the fish looks like. It doesn't mean that it is a legitimate Wild type of betta. It's just a Betta Splenden with wild type markings/coloration. (:
Thank you for explaining that for me Hadoken!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #478 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmel View Post
Thank you for explaining that for me Hadoken!
Mhm no problem!!! It can be confusing. :P
Old 04-12-2013, 10:46 PM   #479 
Mar

love this, so helpful! Thank you! :)
Old 04-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #480 
justmel

Got another to test you all with. My mom brought her betta, Ming, over for me to start caring for (mom's moving in next week). Petsmart sold him as a HM. He very obviously is not a HM. I haven't been able to get him to flare, but I believe it looks like he has some rose/feather tail genes. Very pretty boy. I also wonder if he's piebald or not.
Attached Images

Closed Thread

Tags
alex wuz here : >3