Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #1 
Artemis

What Sort of Tankmates?

I really love the bigger flashy fish like dwarf gouramis and cichlids but have heard a lot of mixed stories on good or bad. I want to get one of these fish or one similar to add into my sorority. What fish (one of the above or one similar) could I get? The tank is a 10 gal so keep that in mind.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

If you have a sorority in a 10 gal, which I'm assuming you've got about 5-7 females in there then you really can't keep any other big showy fish like the ones you mentioned. The bio-load would not be able to handle anything more unfortunately.

Generally though, gouramis and betta's are pretty much a no-can-do because they are both cousins, they both have the labyrinth gill making them both mid-top level swimmers and are territorial.
Cichlids are usually just too aggressive or have different requirements then your girls. Ram's are generally a nicer cichlid, aren't as territorial unless they're breeding. But they require an extremely stable aquarium to thrive.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #3 
Artemis

Only 5 girls. What other flashy fish could get along with females and would stay small enough for a 20 gal?
Old 04-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I'm sorry but there's really no other "flashy fish" that you could keep with a sorority. It's already pushing it enough to have a small schooling fish like neon tetras and cory cats in with them.

But in a 20 if it's adequately planted I would say you could have your 5 girls, a small school of tetras like neons or glowlights and some type of cory cat. I personally like dwarf cory cats because they only get to about an inch which means more space for your girls. Even the tetras can nip your girls from time to time but for the most part they are safe and get along fine.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #5 
Artemis

None of the big ones? Phooy. The 20 gal was hypothetical really. We'll probably get 1 or 2 females to fill it up.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh lol yeah I see. But yeah, sorry none of the big ones. Either they'll kill your girls/stress them out to the point of disease or your girls will bug them to no end.
Each sorority is different and if you had upgraded to say a 29, then there might be a chance for Rams or Apistos but still no Gouramis as they will fight with betta's no matter what.