Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2013, 06:12 AM   #1 
dude

No bubble nest

I have a new female that I have been conditioning for 10 days and yesterday I put her in a very large tall glass jar in with a male. I have lowered the water to about 6 - 7 inches. Temp is 82. Water parameters all good. I have cut a piece of bubble wrap 3x3 and floating on the tank in the corner for him to blow bubble nest under.

Female looks rounded like she would have eggs and egg spot is clearly visible. They are both very interested in each other, flirting and flareing but not too aggressively. Early signs looked promising. However he hasn't blown a bubble nest yet and she hasn't shown vertical stripes. She doesn't seem at all stressed and is happy enough showing off to him but no stripes. This morning I put a mirror on one side of the tank to see if the "competition" would push him on but it hasn't yet (just more flareing).

Any ideas? Am I expecting too much in 24 hours? Should I risk putting her in with him to see what happens?
dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #2 
VincentTH

Betta especially the male is very territorial. He will blow the bubble nest when he feels "at home". That's why it is advisable to introduce the male first, sometimes 2-3 days before the female.

With that said, when the female shows vertical stripes, he may decide that it is time to be a dad and blow his bubbles

Good Luck!
VincentTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #3 
logisticsguy

Well some females just do not get vertical stripes and some boys will not blow a nest until spawning. Usually they do but not all. If the male is showing off to the female and she is doing the flirty swim you should be good to go. Maybe float her in a cheapo clear cup and see how they react.

Last edited by logisticsguy; 04-13-2013 at 02:12 PM.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #4 
dude

How long should I leave them like this before giving up? I changed the water in the jar just now because I was worried about her swimming around in the same 2 pints of of water for a day and a half. I fed them both a small amount earlier and they both ate happily.

Still flaring etc but male is resting a bit more, not sure if he's tired himself out. No signs at all of a bubble nest or that he might make one.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #5 
dude

Sorry you replied as I did. I will watch for another half hour and maybe put her in with him after that to see what happens.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #6 
logisticsguy

I found that some males will start to build a nest after the female is removed. I would take her out, keep her out of eyesight of other fish and try again tommorow giving the boy a chance to blow a nest overnight. Since they are conditioned it wouldnt hurt to try and keep an eye on behavior as well. All good dude.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #7 
dude

Just put her in and all seemed fine, she seemed desperate for him to mate properly but he was just all bluster. Now she is dropping eggs all over the bottom of the tank and he doesn't seem to know what to do....
Old 04-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #8 
dude

OK he really doesn't seem to know what to do and she is getting increasingly frustrated, still dropping eggs, he is now hiding from her even though she isn't being overly aggressive towards him. Should I take her out and try again in a few days? I feel sorry for her she is trying so hard to get him to do his thing and she full of eggs... Part of me is thinking leave them and part of me is thinking he might get stressed so should take her out. Funnily enough I was originally worried it would be him that would give her a hard time.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #9 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Separate them. Re-condition them. And try again after a couple of weeks.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote