Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #1 
Tigersoul101

How trustworthy

Are betta bulbs/plastic plants.

I have currently a betta bulb in my betta's 10 gal tank and so far nothing has really happened to it, and not sure if anything is going to happen to it. And I've also read that silk pants are preferred in betta tanks, but I need some more plants decor in there and the silk is quite expensive and was wondering if plastic plants would be ok with him. :l
Tigersoul101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #2 
Lonely Dragon

I don't know about betta bulbs but I've never really heard good things about them. I'm pretty sure plastic plants are a big no. Bettas seem to tear fins on them...I had one who tore his fins on real plants...
Lonely Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #3 
Snoeflayke

A lot of the betta bulbs are duds...

As for the plastic plants, a good rule of thumb is that if any part of it will snag a pair of pantyhose, it will snag a fin, so shouldn't be used in a betta's tank.
Snoeflayke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #4 
Tigersoul101

Ok, I'll try to keep that in mind.

My betta had torn his pelvic fin tips on nothing somehow, and in his new tank he has a little betta plant, a large silk plants, and a small Buddha deco(It's not actually Buddha, its a Chinese kitchen god, but everyone thinks it's Buddha).
Old 04-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #5 
Tigersoul101

Also I want to split it and I was wondering can someone cheaply make one or should it be bought?
Old 04-14-2013, 01:45 AM   #6 
Blue Fish

First: I tried the bulbs, they eventually just rotted. Never did a thing. :P (fortunately, I had mine a cup of water so they didnt' foul up my tank)

Second: you can purchase regular silk plants at places like walmart for about 99 cents, and then make them into DIY aquarium plants. Just remove any metal pieces in the stems, and attach the leaves or flowers (personal preference) to medium sized stones with aquarium sealant so that they don't float. Then just let them dry for 48 hours and you're good to go. These are even cheaper than the plastic ones, and they're so much better for your guys. :)

Third, here's a DIY tutorial for a tank divider: (and these work better/are safer than the store-bought ones, at least in my experience)
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/

I hope that helps! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #7 
pittipuppylove

I've had mixed results with the plant bulbs... About half the time they don't sprout, but they grow very fast and are really nice plants when they do. I've even gotten some that are almost constantly flowering and I now have several plantlets from them.

And while I've never done it, the companies that supply the bulbs are supposedly really good at replacing any bulbs that don't sprout within a certain amount of time (typically 30 days), and the replacements tend to grow much better.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by pittipuppylove; 04-14-2013 at 12:57 PM.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote