Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #1 
DefStatic

30 gallon setup, can't have two females?

So I recently setup my 30 gallon. Fairly heavily planted, or once the stuff grows more it will be. Going to have a large piece of driftwood in there soon.

I was reading on here, because I want to have more fish obviously LOL, that you can't or shouldn't have two females together, unless you have 4 or more.

I was at Petco, and they had their female bettas in with other schooling fish. I noticed two females together in a tank full of loaches and angel's. They were only $3 a piece, and I decided to take them. Figured they were in a tank with other fish already, so they must be used to it, and they were in together so they must be use to each other.

I have had no problems right now, but I just want to make sure I am not setting myself up for failure. Honestly, they get along quite well. They not only do their own thing, but often can be seen swimming together, almost like a school of two fish LOL. I haven't seen any agressive behavior or nipping.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #2 
bniebetta

I think considering that they were already together they MIGHT be ok. As long as you have other fih in there etc. and if all else fails, it probably wouldnt be too much trouble to go to petco or something and get say 3 more for 2 bucks a piece should they not get along.
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

They might actually be sisters if they were in the tank together like that, unless PetCo was just being weird lol It seems like it's fine so far and since they do have all the space I think it will be okay, I would just keep a keen eye out in case anything actually does happen. :)
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #4 
Artemis

My PetCo keeps girls in cups like the boys. It's possible they were dropoffs or returns
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #5 
DefStatic

Some Petcos I have seen have the males and females in cups. This one had males in cups and no females in cups. All mixed in with other fish.

I am keeping a close eye as much as I can. I am at work during the day. When I am home I check on them every 15 mins, and if I see them near each other or one swimming away fast from the other, I wonder why. I have seen them touch, but no nipping that I can see.

Guess it all has me really paranoid. I have seen each flair at the other, as if to say I have had enough for now. And then other times I will see them just right next to each other, literally an inch apart, just hovering.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:52 AM   #6 
Myates

The tank is fairly large.. it should be fine. Keep an eye on them just in case, if there is too much chasing/fighting then I would add in a couple more.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #7 
Mal72

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefStatic View Post
So I recently setup my 30 gallon. Fairly heavily planted, or once the stuff grows more it will be. Going to have a large piece of driftwood in there soon.

I was reading on here, because I want to have more fish obviously LOL, that you can't or shouldn't have two females together, unless you have 4 or more.

I was at Petco, and they had their female bettas in with other schooling fish. I noticed two females together in a tank full of loaches and angel's. They were only $3 a piece, and I decided to take them. Figured they were in a tank with other fish already, so they must be used to it, and they were in together so they must be use to each other.

I have had no problems right now, but I just want to make sure I am not setting myself up for failure. Honestly, they get along quite well. They not only do their own thing, but often can be seen swimming together, almost like a school of two fish LOL. I haven't seen any agressive behavior or nipping.
That should be a great tank for them. Perhaps, the aggressive nature of the angel was keeping the girls calm--they are a species of cichlid. I am actually surprised Petco placed them in the tank with the Bettas, in fact.

At any rate, they are used to being housed together and every female that I have bought from my LFS ,that had them in a sorority when I purchased them, has done well. My girls that were sitting in cups at the Petstore tend to be more aggressive and terroritorial, in contrast. I ended up separating those girls and have the three from the LFS sharing space with other types of fish now.

I think you should have success and have a great size for a beautiful community tank. :)
Mal72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #8 
DefStatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal72 View Post
That should be a great tank for them. Perhaps, the aggressive nature of the angel was keeping the girls calm--they are a species of cichlid. I am actually surprised Petco placed them in the tank with the Bettas, in fact.

At any rate, they are used to being housed together and every female that I have bought from my LFS ,that had them in a sorority when I purchased them, has done well. My girls that were sitting in cups at the Petstore tend to be more aggressive and terroritorial, in contrast. I ended up separating those girls and have the three from the LFS sharing space with other types of fish now.

I think you should have success and have a great size for a beautiful community tank. :)
Thanks! I have been quite excited and anxious to get this tank going. It was a tank my parents used to have setup 20 years ago, and when we moved they never set it back up.

Now that I have gotten my self started and organized with my office tank, I feel I am ready to at least handle this tank. Still have a lot to learn, but getting there.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #9 
ANHEL123

Good luck :) Just make sure you have a few hospital tanks in case you need to separate them. And also if you decide to buy more females always quarantine them for a few weeks, make sure they healthy before you put them in the main tank. You don't want to contaminate the tank and sometimes they don't show any symptoms of the sickness at the beginning .
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #10 
Crowntails

Best of luck to you. I think since the tank is so big you will be a okay.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote