Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #11 
LittleBlueFishlets

How does it look today? Any change?

If there's no change, I think I would just keep him in warm, clean water -- and keep a close eye on it for a day or so. Hopefully, it'll clear up.

If it looks like it's spreading though, OR if his behavior changes in any way, let us know right away. Based on what happens, or how it looks, someone can help you determine how to treat it.

I'm a big believer in trying just warm, clean water first. Along with good nutrition (and reducing stress), that will go a long way in allowing his immune system to handle it on his own. BUT if it looks like his system can't handle it on his own, then medications would be justified....
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #12 
HeroicPoison

His tiny spot hasn't changed, and he seems as happy as ever :)
Is his smooth head an issue? I'm guessing not since u didn't say anything about it :p
I am noticing in his tank there is clearish gooey stuff coming off his plants... This has happened to another fish of mine a little while ago, a friend told me its my water and to treat it w AQ salt... Should I de doing that?
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #13 
LittleBlueFishlets

LOL, I didn't comment on it because I have no idea whether a smooth head is OK or not. I figured that if it was an issue, other people would offer advice. (:p back at ya! LOL)

No, don't treat the water with AQ salt. Bettas are sensitive to salt. The sodium in it causes fluid retention, which can lead to stress on the kidneys and bloating. It's not worth stressing the fish because the plants are icky.

Are the plants artificial? If so, I would remove them and wash them in hot water until all the slimy stuff is gone. Then air dry, or even better, dry them in sunlight. (The UV light kills bacteria.) Then put them back into the tank.

If the plants are live, then ask in the Planted Tanks forum. There are a lot of people who are experts with plants. (I'm not one of them! LOL)
Old 04-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #14 
HeroicPoison

They are fake plants...
TBH i havent treated my other tank with AQ salt yet either since my VT just got over fin rot... i didnt want to over do the salt... i keep cleaning his stuff and changing his water. Its just the two tanks that are producing this slime... idk what that means my other three tanks are fine. I will re rinse the decorations and replace them letting them dry out.. i would use sun but its snowing :\ I just dont know what his slimy stuff is or why its only happening in two outta five tanks...
Old 04-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #15 
LittleBlueFishlets

It could just be the plants. I've had artificial plants get slimy, especially when they were new. I just washed them really well with hot water, then air dried them.

Eventually, one of two things happens: either they are no longer slimy, or they stay slimy in which case I decide I don't want to use them anymore.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #16 
HeroicPoison

in my VT tank the slime is all over him as well... his slime is a little more whiteish ... do u figure thats just slime or is it a problem?
Old 04-14-2013, 09:53 PM   #17 
LittleBlueFishlets

How is he acting? Can you post a picture? (Or maybe start a new thread, so that we keep the topics separate....)
Old 04-14-2013, 10:02 PM   #18 
HeroicPoison

ill start a new thread for sure with pics i just have to try to get a pic of this slime stuff