Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #1 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Cool Additions to the Family! (Pic Heavy)

Hey all, so I had been wanting to do a sorority for a while now and had asked my LFS if they would get any female betta's in and they said they would try. Their last two batches didn't go so well and they all ended up dying but this time they've all survived and so I picked up 4 healthy females today! I was very happy that they hadn't been seperated and while I watched them swim around there was virtually no fighting/tail biting or anything which I know can change in a flash but so far so good.

I also picked up a "female" from walmart because she looked so adorable and like she needed to come home with me haha so she's currently in QT at the moment being medicated, she was kind of thin, her caudal is clamped and she's been a big lathargic but she's been alright since she's been home. But the curious thing about her, and I'll have to wait a while, but her ventrals seem really long to be a female so I'll have to wait till she's better to see what gender she really is. Hard to get a look at her but I can't see an eggspot at the moment. So she'll be a mystery for a while :)
Hard to see her back there but she's just hanging out. She's swimming around every now and then but for the most part just sits there, her tail is also abnormally short where her body is very long.

In other news, one of my boys Piebald (yes named after his coloration because I didn't want to keep calling him "the new guy" when I first got him and piebald kind of stuck. However I am open to suggestions for a real name)
when I first took him home, his fins were ragged, he had a bit of ammonia poisoning and had a fungus going over his left eye. He's now since recovered from both the poisoning and fungus and now just working on his fins!

Now I'm naming the girls and I've got a few picked out so far.
For the first girl she's a yellow VT, I was either thinking Pineapple (a more common name lol) or Dust, kind of leaning Dust because I haven't seen it used as much.

The next girl is either Firestar, Starfire or Phoenix. She's a solid red VT and the cutest of them all, just has such a great personality to her!

The third is what I believe is a Double Tail solid red but I have no named picked for her yet, she's a feisty one though. She could also be named Phoenix if I decided on another name for the previous girl.

Here's Firestar/Starfire/Phoenix and the DT togehter

The fourth is an Opaque, the light doesn't do her justice. But she's a pinkish with a baby blue sheen over her and the edges of her fins are red. I'm thinking of calling her Opaline or Aurora.

lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #2 
MandiNicole

They are all so beautiful! Love Piebald especially, I like bettas that have not so normal coloring or markings!(:
MandiNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Thank you! Yeah he's been begging me to keep him lol I'm not so fond of the "skin tone" on bettas but his is a little more bearable for me since some of his coloration from his body is actually moving up towards his head which makes me think he's still a young betta. But I'm not sure if I'll be giving him to one of my friends or not yet, I want him to be fully healed before he goes moving any where first!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

So an update on my Walmart girl/boy. I still have no idea whether it's a he or she. I tried putting her next to my boy Mercury to see if she/he would flare but it just stared at Mercury while Mercury flared ridiculously but that boy flares at EVERYTHING! lol
I tried looking for an ovipostor but either it's really well hidden behind the ventrals or it's not there. But it's tummy is kind of round like a females would be, I think s/he is still too skinny to be telling anything. But I did identify he/r as a wild type coloration but still waiting on the fin type when s/he gets a little bit bigger.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okay so another update lol

I figured out that my Walmart girl is actually a girl although she's got quite the beard when she flares. But she does have an ovipostor:
Which you can kind of see in this awful picture:

Here she is flaring at my girl Mystique because she's floating in the 1 gallon in the 33 to keep her warm.

Mystique kept taunting her

Here you can see her great wild type coloration and clearly see that Mystique is pissed off haha

And this is just for colors, you can also see a bit of the ovipostor here as well under her ventrals

So my question, how can I tell if a female is a plakat or a regular splendens? Also how many girls would fit comfortably in my 33 gallon provided I have plenty of cover/plants and spaces to hide.
Currently I have 7 neons, 6 dwarf cory cats and 1 BN pleco in there and I have 6 girls that will tentatively being going in. Four of them are the sisters of which I posted earlier, and then Mystique and the Walmart girl. I was thinking 8 was a good number.

Also for a sorority, better to have an even number or an odd number? I've seen mixed information everywhere and was wondering you guy's opinion. Thanks all
Old 04-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #6 
konstargirl

They all look great I think the red one that was flaring looks like a boy, but I could be wrong.
konstargirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:56 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Thank you! Yeah I'm still not sure about him/her....I thought I was but I'm still questioning it :/
If she is a boy then I won't really have a good home for him, I really don't want to keep him in my 1 gallon drum, unfiltered and probably unheated because all the small heaters I buy end up just fizzing out on me or malfunction in some way :( But time will tell