Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2013, 01:58 AM   #1 
Lena N

Couple questions about sycled planted tank

If you have sycled tank, please tell me what is the level of nitrates in your tank? What is normal reading of nitrates for healthy sycled planted tank?

Also I have a question about filter. How often filter must be washed (not carridge, but the type like in fluval Spec 5)? I read in internet it must be washed in aquarium water once in 2 weeks, it it true?

This question is not about sycled tank.
What do you do if your plants are melting? Do you still keep them in tank? They will not harm the fish?

Also I wonder if high nitrites can harm plants?

Thank you.

Last edited by Lena N; 04-15-2013 at 02:02 AM.
Lena N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:05 AM   #2 
Lena N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena N View Post
If you have sycled tank, please tell me what is the level of nitrates in your tank? What is normal reading of nitrates for healthy sycled planted tank?

Also I have a question about filter. How often filter must be washed (not carridge, but the type like in fluval Spec 5)? I read in internet it must be washed in aquarium water once in 2 weeks, it it true?

This question is not about sycled tank.
What do you do if your plants are melting? Do you still keep them in tank? They will not harm the fish?

Also I wonder if high nitrites can harm plants?

Thank you.
Oh, just found answer for 1st question :"High nitrate levels are a sign of poorly maintained aquariums and will cause problems in the long term (I recommend levels under 40-50 ppm for FW, 20 ppm for Saltwater fish, & under 1 ppm for reef).

Nitrates are potentially dangerous due to the effects on the water chemistry and on a healthy environment for your fish while nitrates are accumulating. The higher the nitrate levels the higher and severe the consequences due to the stress on your fish and the favorable conditions for a serious algae outbreak.
Nitrate levels around 5 ppm or less are found in nature which provides an almost nitrate free environment (although a Nitrate level of around 15 ppm is usually best for planted freshwater aquariums). The higher the nitrate concentration the more stress for the fish. Extremely severe stress is reached at levels exceeding 100 ppm."

But still please share nitrates level of your tank if it is planted. Thank you.
Lena N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:05 AM   #3 
VJM

Zero. I have so many plants I never see ammonia, nitrates, or nitrites. They are definitely cycled, it just takes a very long time to see nitrates in a heavily planted tank.

Nitrate readings should be under 20ppm. Anything over signals a water change.

I don't clean filters while cycling. Once your cycle is firmly established, swishing the medium in old water every 2-4 weeks is fine.

It is common for plants to react to new surroundings by melting. If you have a decent light with at least one 6500k bulb, you should see new growth at the same time. Trim the plants appropriately for their type and discard the rotting portions. Once they adjust, they should bounce back.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote