Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #21 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Matt Bettas dont need that much light and Perseus didnt like the light in the hood of his tank at all till I got some floating plants and now he doesnt mind it at all and its so much more enjoyable so watch him with a nice light in the tank like the new one I got a couple of months ago plus my plants love it they are growing so much better and staying very green.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #22 
waterdog

WOW! Can we take it down to defcon 2 in this thread guys?

I know Matt and he is never 'snarky' on purpose. He is very knowledgeable and just trying to help.

Let's keep this simple. Go to walmart and you can get a 10 watt flouresent bulb in the aquarium section for $5. They are super slinder and fit even my 2.5 gallon tank.

Moss balls, IMO, are totally useless and a waste of money. With fast growing viney type plants, like hornwart, you not only get good algae control, but you can make frequent cuttings to stick in the gravel other places and make new plants. Cheap and effective.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #23 
ryancalif

Quote:
Moss balls, IMO, are totally useless and a waste of money. With fast growing viney type plants, like hornwart, you not only get good algae control, but you can make frequent cuttings to stick in the gravel other places and make new plants. Cheap and effective.
Great idea... Any other plants you would recommend? I'm thinking about going 'green' myself here when I get my Fluval Edge 12 gallon this week. Looking for functional plants mostly.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:04 AM   #24 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancalif View Post
Great idea... Any other plants you would recommend? I'm thinking about going 'green' myself here when I get my Fluval Edge 12 gallon this week. Looking for functional plants mostly.
Amazon swords make great broad leaf plants that bettas can actually sleep in. Java ferns are very beautiful. Water sprite would look good in a 12 gallon too!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #25 
ryancalif

I'll keep those in mind.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #26 
Sivan

Would these lights be good? I would get the 15 watt one: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

These are 8,000k, though.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #27 
isochronism

If the light you get seems a bit too bright, small floating plants help filter the light. Just have some open areas so your fish can get to the surface to breath easily. The floaters really help in my tanks.
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #28 
Sivan

I also want to avoid green algae, is the thing.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote