Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #1 
lutrafrost

Sick fish!

My betta, Azure, has been acting funky lately. He's always been a smaller guy, but recently he's been looking especially thin. After feeding today, I noticed he's lost a lot of color under his mouth, and has been showing some stress stripes. I tried getting him to flare at a mirror to get a better look at his fins (he's had a history of tearing them, I thought it may be an infection related to that), but he seems almost shy around his reflection, rather than flaring up as usual. I pulled him from the tank and am keeping a close eye on him, he seems a little less stressed in the QT tank, I think that may be related to the lack of water flow?

Housing
What size is your tank? 20gal (divided into 5 sections, but currenly only housing 2 other betta.
What temperature is your tank? 80f
Does your tank have a filter? yes (Aqueon quietflow 10)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 other male beta in the divided tank, one he's lived with for about a year now and one that's a fairly recent addition.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top fin /aqueon betta bits (rotated), occasional bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 pellets daily, fasting once a week

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: ~30 ppm (Our tap water has nitrates naturally, which is why I use prime)
pH: 6.8
Hardness: don't have a test for this
Alkalinity: don't have a test for this

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Seems thinner, area around face turning pale (normally black, now a dull green color) Fins a little ragged but no signs of infection there.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Seems less active or agressive.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I've put him in a QT
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I've had fin rot issues in the past, treated with bettafix and had no further issues until now.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him for about 8 months- a year, bought him as an adult.

Please help!
lutrafrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #2 
lutrafrost

I will try to post some pictures soon, will have to borrow a camera.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hello sorry your little guy is having some problems. I dont know much about the food you are giving him but I do think that since he is on the skinny side a better food choice would be New Life Spectrum Betta pellets or Omega One Betta pellets. The NLS pellets are tiny so you could give him like 4 at a time feeding once in the morning and 3 or 4 at night and see if that perks him up some. I really feel he might not be getting enough to eat and that maybe the food you are using has to many fillers or binders in them .

I am not sure about the color change around his mouth and yes some pictures would really help. It could be the water flow he doesnt like I would take out the air stone you really dont need it. Hang in there for more help.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #4 
lutrafrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Hello sorry your little guy is having some problems. I dont know much about the food you are giving him but I do think that since he is on the skinny side a better food choice would be New Life Spectrum Betta pellets or Omega One Betta pellets. The NLS pellets are tiny so you could give him like 4 at a time feeding once in the morning and 3 or 4 at night and see if that perks him up some. I really feel he might not be getting enough to eat and that maybe the food you are using has to many fillers or binders in them .

I am not sure about the color change around his mouth and yes some pictures would really help. It could be the water flow he doesnt like I would take out the air stone you really dont need it. Hang in there for more help.
Thanks you for the reply!
I will definitely look into ordering better food, I gave him a couple more in case underfeeding is indeed the case. Although, my other betta seem to do perfectly fine on the same feeding schedule. OF course, every fish is different I suppose.
I don't know as if the air stone would bother him that much? It's on the complete other side of the tank Woth noting- its a 20 long, not a regular 20gal). He is pretty close to the filter output, however. I'll work on buffering that a bit more.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #5 
lutrafrost

Here are some pictures, I apologize for the low quality. He really hasn't stopped drooping like that all day. In the second picture you can sort of see the discoloration around his face, normally it's solid black but it's really paled up. He's eating normally and swimming around a little bit, not much.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Your very welcome and yes its worth a try and see if more food does help him. Your so right what works for one might not work for another. Since the air stone is so far away I dont know you would think it wouldnt bother him, you could take it out awhile and see maybe. Great idea to baffle the filter. Good luck and keep us updated on how he is doing.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #7 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

He is very pretty. I see a white spot over his eye, is that the spot your talking
about ? Perhaps he scraped it on something ? My guy had a small spot under his chin like that and I keep and eye on it and its gone now after about a month of watching it. I think he may have scraped it on something in his tank like his floating log or Lost City decoration. Do you have any stress coat, that might help it heal faster.

As far of the drooping of his fins I dont know but they are heavy for him I am sure but if he normally doesnt droop them could be he is not feeling well. How is his swimming does he seem to be having trouble with that ?

Last edited by Perseusmom; 04-15-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #8 
lutrafrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
He is very pretty. I see a white spot over his eye, is that the spot your talking
about ? Perhaps he scraped it on something ? My guy had a small spot under his chin like that and I keep and eye on it and its gone now after about a month of watching it. I think he may have scraped it on something in his tank like his floating log or Lost City decoration. Do you have any stress coat, that might help it heal faster.

As far of the drooping of his fins I dont know but they are heavy for him I am sure but if he normally doesnt droop them could be he is not feeling well. How is his swimming does he seem to be having trouble with that ?
Thank you, I think so too, although I'm a bit biased, hehe.
Yeah, the spot over his eye and also under his chin, the photo doesn't seem to show it too well. I don't have any stress coat, unfortunately, I'll see if I can't pick it up tonight, along with some new food.
His swimming seems alright, but he's certainly a lot less active, as I said. I'll see how he does after a few days on better food, and then reintroduce him to the main tank after he's feeling a little stronger.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #9 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Great idea I hope he does well on some new food and feels better soon !
Old 04-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #10 
ANHEL123

do not put him back until you know what he has and if he is completely recovered. You don't want to contaminate the tank. Hopefully he don't have anything contagious and didn't give it to your other bettas. I would do extra water changes in your tank.
Make sure he not going to develop fuzzy,cottony like patches. Also sometimes fish can lose weight despite eating due to the internal parasites. So make sure his poop in not white, clear, stringy,wormy size that would indicate internal bacteria or internal parasites.
And if will continue acting lethargic and refusing to eat let us know right away -you will need to treat him.
Do you have aquarium or epsom salt at home?
Stress coat good idea. While you have him in the hospital tank i would do daily 100% water changes. But aquarium salt at the pet store and Epsom salt at the pharmacy. Keep him in the hospital tank. Actually you was afraid he is stressed because there is no water movement , but i don't think that is the problem. It would be too easy. Actually not all bettas or a lot of bettas do not like too much water movements.
While you have him in the hospital tank start with 50% water changes today do 2-50% water changes 2-3 hrs a part and next day you can continue 100% water changes. See if it helps. Do you know how to acclimate betta to the new water temperature when you do 100% water changes?
Also white spot could be his slime coat which can be from injuries, from using medications, salt or just from stress coat which is good and his natural protection from the infections. But i don't think that it is slime coat because usually fish don't have behavior changes with that . So he might be sick and have infection so DO NOT put him back .
Also when you cycle your tank make sure you vacuum the gravel , sorry i know you probably know that and rinse the filter media.
Give us update.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote