Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #21 
WolfHhowling

Quote:
Originally Posted by djembekah View Post
Epsom salt is actually a great option to treat fish with, for future reference :) the big thing you have to watch with salt for fish treatment is that you want NON iodized salt. epsom isn't as strong as aquarium salt which is why its recommended for some treatments instead.

glad you found stufc that'll work though!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Thank you for the info on epsom salt. I read an article that it can be used to get rid of constipation in fish as well as peas lol

Red seems to be swimming around as best he can, but hes still not acting like a fish should. :(

It hasn't spread any more since I last checked on him...
WolfHhowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #22 
Skyewillow

as long as the entire fin isn't disintegrated, (as in the flesh around the base destroyed), his gonopodium will grow back just like any other fin. It there's extensive scarring on the new growth, he will be sterile.

(I looked it up to triple check)
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #23 
WolfHhowling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
as long as the entire fin isn't disintegrated, (as in the flesh around the base destroyed), his gonopodium will grow back just like any other fin. It there's extensive scarring on the new growth, he will be sterile.

(I looked it up to triple check)
Thanks. It doesn't look like its gotten that far yet. although the whole thing has turned white.

Thanks for the support, makes me a bit more calm. I tend to have the little panic attacks when my fish are sick. Even when they are swimming around going.. " but I only have a tiny tiny speck of ick mom, I am fine"
Old 04-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #24 
Skyewillow

we all tend to panic when our funny looking adopted children get sick. It's ok
Old 04-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #25 
HeroicPoison

I'm sure he will be happy again in no time just make sure his water is kept clean to stop bacterial growth and keep treating him
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #26 
WolfHhowling

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroicPoison View Post
I'm sure he will be happy again in no time just make sure his water is kept clean to stop bacterial growth and keep treating him
Quote:
we all tend to panic when our funny looking adopted children get sick. It's ok
Oh good now I feel less like a goofball, and more apart of the shoal.

Thats number one priority on my list.

I do water changes and maintenance rather very often. Because I have heard way to many infected catfish barbel horror stories.

My fish are really use to the twice a week cleaning. So much so, that my fish just swim to the other side when I am working in an area. When I half to take out the catfish to gravel vac ( since the stupid thing can suck them up rather easily) My corry cats swim into the net, and my oldest catfish squeaky lets me just pick him up. ( he hates the net).
Old 04-15-2013, 04:32 PM   #27 
HeroicPoison

Panic is normal, I have been working on not panicking... Skyewillow reminds me that panicking doesnt help you help them :) but it can get scary when you dont know what is happening
As i said just keep him warm and clean, continue with the AQ salt
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #28 
WolfHhowling

Well here is the fishy up date. It was feeding time for all fishes.

He still refuses food......

That and it seems to have gotten worse. The infected scales have now reached up towards his dorsal fin. On both sides, in kind like a saddle fashion if you put it under the horse.

Its burgundy red in the middle, and the effected scales are raised that around the Ulcer.... He has also lost a scale as I have removed it from the bottom of the tank, not knowing what it was.

He is very lethargic, hardly swimming around, have kept the light off, so not to stress him out.

at this point, I think all I can do, is make him comfy. I don't think I caught it in time. since its continuing to spread.

This being said, the practices that they ( pet stores chains) hold for all fish, not just our betta friends is deplorable. I am just sad that I myself couldn't catch it in time.

It doesn't look good at all, I expect that he will be gone some time this week if not in the morning. He just looks that bad.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:35 PM   #29 
Skyewillow

-hugs- I'm sorry that he's not improving. You're right, just make him as comfortable as possible. I wish we could've helped you save him.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:33 AM   #30 
WolfHhowling

Quote:
-hugs- I'm sorry that he's not improving. You're right, just make him as comfortable as possible. I wish we could've helped you save him.
Thank you so much. I just feel so bad that I couldn't do much for him. That and i feel bad that now Ruby is the only sword in the tank, and will half to replace him for her sake.

Its just one of those cases ware you wish your fish had Ich, instead of what it does have. At least ich is treatable with a 89% chance of survival.