Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #1 
JadeAngel

ADF & Ghost shrimp, numbers and mixing?

Ok, so we have 4 five gallon tanks. 1 with an ADF tank mate, another with a ghost shrimp.

We've decided the dragon spade tail is much to aggressive for a tank mate (seriously... this guy is the very reason they are called fightin fish)

But I still am going back and forth about my new guy, Soren.

So, in regards to soren....

How many ADF can be kept with a betta in a 5 gallon tank?
How many Ghost shrimp can be kept with a betta in a 5 gallon tank? (not together with ADFs)

And in regards to my daughter's betta, Shisu....
he has to stay with Will the Ghost shrimp because the spade tail kept attacking him. But she has been begging and begging me for a girl frog, because she wants to name her "lorelei" (after the frog I had to find a new home for).

Can 1 ADF and 1 Ghost shrimp share a 5 gallon with a betta. I'm more refering to how the frog and shrimp will get along with each other. I have kept them in tanks, but never together.

Thank you
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #2 
Briz

I recently researched all about this since I was putting ghost shrimp and ADFs for the first time and wanted to put them together.

I think you'd be safer with 1 ADF + betta for 5 gallons. 2 ADFs + betta might be pushing the bioload.

Not sure about the number of ghost shrimp for betta. Probably not more than 5, as adult ghost shrimp can get aggressive towards other ghost shrimp without enough space. And the ghost shrimp need hiding places from the betta.

Ghost shrimp and ADFs will get along fine. I observed my ADF nipping at a ghost shrimp once when he was hungry, but the ghost shrimp was fast and didn't get injured. The ADF ignored the shrimp besides that one instance.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #3 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briz View Post
I recently researched all about this since I was putting ghost shrimp and ADFs for the first time and wanted to put them together.

I think you'd be safer with 1 ADF + betta for 5 gallons. 2 ADFs + betta might be pushing the bioload.

Not sure about the number of ghost shrimp for betta. Probably not more than 5, as adult ghost shrimp can get aggressive towards other ghost shrimp without enough space. And the ghost shrimp need hiding places from the betta.

Ghost shrimp and ADFs will get along fine. I observed my ADF nipping at a ghost shrimp once when he was hungry, but the ghost shrimp was fast and didn't get injured. The ADF ignored the shrimp besides that one instance.
ADFs let off less waste than a fish, so their bioload is not so great and can afford more body per gallon, just not sure how much. They also are social so should be in at least 2, but I wasn't sure if 3 was pushing it or not (growing up, we always had 2 with 1 betta in a 1.6-2 gallon. But I was a kid, and mom didn't bother researching anything to know that it was too much. They still lived a long time and got along fine... but it wasn't ideal).

My older ADF is the loner in her tank with the betta because the other one that was in there just didn't get along with her tank mates and had to get rehomed.

I decided to go ahead and get the 2 ADF for this tank. I'm going to wait to see if I want to get more ghost shrimp or an ADF for my other tank. My daughter just won't stop begging for her girl frog But my husband wants me to wait until her birthday, in the end of July.

I'm fairly certain the 2 ADFs I got today are a male and a female.

So 1 ADF and 1 ghost shrimp might work out? I'll have to wait anyway, but it's nice to know if that option is there or not

Thanks for the advice! <3
Old 04-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #4 
Briz

You might want to get a couple ghost shrimp... they are really fragile and likely some will die unless the water is simply perfect. Some are more hardy than others. :)

ADFs will certainly be more interactive with other ADF companions, but they are fine alone, but you seem to know that as you have a loner one!

Besides the bioload, you also have to consider if the ADFs would have enough room or would feel crowded.

Overall, I think 2 ADFs and the Betta will be just fine. Just things to consider if it ends up not working out!
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #5 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briz View Post
You might want to get a couple ghost shrimp... they are really fragile and likely some will die unless the water is simply perfect. Some are more hardy than others. :)

ADFs will certainly be more interactive with other ADF companions, but they are fine alone, but you seem to know that as you have a loner one!

Besides the bioload, you also have to consider if the ADFs would have enough room or would feel crowded.

Overall, I think 2 ADFs and the Betta will be just fine. Just things to consider if it ends up not working out!
They have plenty of places to hide, and each one seems to already have picked out a space of his/her own There is a large jade lean-to cave that the female claimed, and a very very small one that the male claimed on the other side of the tank (hmm... they sound like people! hahaha)

I just released them into the tank about 15 minutes ago. I took pictures while they cooperated and opened their arms. I'm positive 1 is a male, and fairly certain the other is a female. Just... her tail nub is smaller than I've seen in other females, so I'm also not 100% sold on it either. I guess I'll have to wait until they grow up. Until then, their names are Gylphie and Digger.

When I went to get them, I asked the guy for the 2 most relaxed ones (some were going up and down trying to dig at the glass) He got these 2 laying on top of each other. I'm hoping that means they like each other? (as friends *cough* not ready to be a grandma to a bunch of tadpoles! haha)
Old 04-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #6 
Raincloud

I have been thinking about tank mates too. I am glad to hear it worked out well for you! I have a 5.5 tank and wanted one ADF and a couple a ghost shrimp with my male betta, based on what I read here it seems fine :) What do you think about snails? I guess they would definitely be pushing the bioload?
Raincloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #7 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raincloud View Post
I have been thinking about tank mates too. I am glad to hear it worked out well for you! I have a 5.5 tank and wanted one ADF and a couple a ghost shrimp with my male betta, based on what I read here it seems fine :) What do you think about snails? I guess they would definitely be pushing the bioload?
I don't have snails or know too much about them, but different aquatic creatures give very different bioloads. So the 1 gallon per inch of fish isn't necessarily the same with shrimp and other creatures. But be carefulf one thing, if you don't want snail babies... some snails can reproduce without mating I was going to get a ramshorn snail until I found that out then again... having a male and female frog in the same tank can also make me an aquatic grandma lol

oh, if you get a male frog you might hear his singing too as he gets older, if that interests you n.n

I'd imagine 1 betta, 1 frog and a few shrimp, or 2 frogs and no shrimp would be maximum stocking unless you have a planted tank.

I got 2 frogs for Soren's tank, and I decided that IF I can ever find a cherry shrimp, I'm going to get one for Shisu's tank for my daughter since there's already a shrimp in that tank. They just seem to be hard to find around here
Old 04-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #8 
Raincloud

Thanks for the advice! I was leaning towards the ADF and shrimp anyways... I don't think I am ready for self-breeding snails o.o BTW, what do you feed your tankmates? (sorry for the questions, I don't trust petstore employees anymore:P)
Old 04-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #9 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raincloud View Post
Thanks for the advice! I was leaning towards the ADF and shrimp anyways... I don't think I am ready for self-breeding snails o.o BTW, what do you feed your tankmates? (sorry for the questions, I don't trust petstore employees anymore:P)
lol, no one should trust their petstore employees unless they know for a fact that the employee is actually knowledgable

My frogs eat frog and tadpole bites. They sink to the bottom of the tank so that the betta can't hog their food... at least... most bettas (my hubby's that isn't getting a tank mate is not afraid to search the bottom for food )

They also love freeze dried blood worms

You have to keep in mind that some frogs are pickier eaters and will not eat anything that isn't squirming about (they have poor eye site, and can't see things well that aren't moving). I had to do that the first couple of weeks with Delilah, but not anymore. My new couple never gave me that problem.

If you get a frog that doesn't want to eat the bites or freeze dried blood worms (as they have to swim to the surface to eat those, which could create tension with the betta) then you need to get frozen blood worms and use a pair or long aquarium tweezers to dangle it in front of the frog. Some people have to feed their frogs like this regularly. It depends on their froggy's preferences.

The shrimp are awesome because they just scavange on anything your betta doesn't eat. They pretty much spend most of their time walking around picking at the gravel and plants. Frogs also will nab up any betta bites that make it to the bottom of the tank. Since I got tank mates for my bettas, I've found vacumming the gravel sooo much easier as they rarely leave extra bits of food around.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #10 
Raincloud

I have to admit, I found it rather upsetting to find out that the pet store employees aren't always...ever...right...I believed them for years!

Thanks again for the advice. One last question :3 How long did you quarantine them for before adding them with your betta?