Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #21 
Xeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roemgie View Post
Actually several experienced betta keepers told me of the lock jaw. It is possible to drown a fish since they still are getting oxygen from the water. I have been told to 'drown' a fish you just pull them backwards. Although I would never EVER try it.

Pairing or friends I mean that they mutually agree to not go after the other. They do have that ability and I've noticed that with my girls so far and that's probably why that's the best and that there won't be just one 'new girl' in school.
Quote:
Yeah but pet store employees aren't meant to be completely knowledgeable because honestly if I worked at petco not a single 'betta heaven' or 'betta cup' would be sold from that store.

I have to admit I do agree with you. I haven't noticed any of my girls going for each others mouth but it doesn't hurt to share that type of information because true or not it doesn't mean life or death to anyone (thankfully!).
I've only ever seen them go after fins. Could you imagine how difficult it would be, if you were a betta, to aim and snag another fishes fast moving mouth in a rumble tumble like that?
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #22 
LittleBettaFish

Well I can tell you my wild bettas aren't very active so I doubt they would be swimming through acres and acres of rice paddies. They mostly skulk about in the leaf litter and pop out when they see me coming with their blackworms.

You are also not a fish. Fish are pretty basic in terms of behaviour. As long as they have space enough to move about, a good diet and appropriate water conditions they are generally content.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:11 PM   #23 
Xeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Well I can tell you my wild bettas aren't very active so I doubt they would be swimming through acres and acres of rice paddies. They mostly skulk about in the leaf litter and pop out when they see me coming with their blackworms.

You are also not a fish. Fish are pretty basic in terms of behaviour. As long as they have space enough to move about, a good diet and appropriate water conditions they are generally content.
Wild bettas have been observed to be a lot less aggressive than the bred ones we have today. Many of the bettas we have today have ancestors that were bred for fighting, for their aggression.

Jeez I can't find any of the research papers I had saved on the subject - I will need to find them because most of my knowledge that comes from research that's hard to find.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #24 
Otterfun

Quote:
They are young Otterfun. It is when they start to mature that problems can arise. I have introduced young or very small females into a sorority with larger females no issue because they do not really challenge the other females and the older females don't really see them as a threat.

You just have to be aware that bettas are unpredictable and what works now may not work later on down the track.
ok, thanks, I will keep an eye on them.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #25 
LittleBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeek View Post
Wild bettas have been observed to be a lot less aggressive than the bred ones we have today. Many of the bettas we have today have ancestors that were bred for fighting, for their aggression.

Jeez I can't find any of the research papers I had saved on the subject - I will need to find them because most of my knowledge that comes from research that's hard to find.
I keep wild bettas so I know about their care and behaviour. I was just stating that we shouldn't be basing our care of domesticated splendens on how things are in nature. They are completely different animals and so their care needs to reflect that.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #26 
Xeek

Quote:
I keep wild bettas so I know about their care and behaviour. I was just stating that we shouldn't be basing our care of domesticated splendens on how things are in nature. They are completely different animals and so their care needs to reflect that.
You are right.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:46 AM   #27 
Roemgie

Quote:
I've only ever seen them go after fins. Could you imagine how difficult it would be, if you were a betta, to aim and snag another fishes fast moving mouth in a rumble tumble like that?
Trust me I'm not saying it's 100% true I'm only spreading info that will help if its true and be mere words if it's not.
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:40 AM   #28 
Roemgie

So since I know there are several people who are knowledgable on sororities, or I believe, I have a questions. So I brought two new females home from petco. One had been marked as a baby but she must have just recently matured because she has eggs but is still fairly small.

I honestly didn't realize how small her and the other one were until I put them into my 10 gallon tank. My 'older' girl from petco is doing fairly well and is swimming among the other girls but my smaller 'younger' girl is usually in hiding. I do know that some prefer to stay away and being so small she is most likely scared. I'm actually sure of it.

Should I take her out and allow her to grow up a little more or do you think she is fine with the 4 other girls? I feel like my tank is fairly well suited for a sorority but I could be wrong.

She is doing a great job at hiding and doesn't have any major injuries. She has a little scrap on her head I think but I'm not 100% sure where it came from.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:54 PM   #29 
Xeek

Quote:
So since I know there are several people who are knowledgable on sororities, or I believe, I have a questions. So I brought two new females home from petco. One had been marked as a baby but she must have just recently matured because she has eggs but is still fairly small.

I honestly didn't realize how small her and the other one were until I put them into my 10 gallon tank. My 'older' girl from petco is doing fairly well and is swimming among the other girls but my smaller 'younger' girl is usually in hiding. I do know that some prefer to stay away and being so small she is most likely scared. I'm actually sure of it.

Should I take her out and allow her to grow up a little more or do you think she is fine with the 4 other girls? I feel like my tank is fairly well suited for a sorority but I could be wrong.

She is doing a great job at hiding and doesn't have any major injuries. She has a little scrap on her head I think but I'm not 100% sure where it came from.
I keep them in breeder boxes if they're too small. I kept my baby betta in a breeder box for at least a month before I let her join the others. An advantage to being small though is speed. She was smaller than the rest when I let her join the sorority, but she wasn't afraid at all often chasing the queen and when the queen decided she was in charge, darted off real fast without a scratch! Her favorite area seems to be where the most current is - she can swim in it much better than the others.

I now have 2 new girls in the group and they are pretty small, Molly the smallest now. They are scared, but they are new to the group and after over a week in boxes in the tank they're still cautiously exploring even though they had full view inside the tank for so long. They're always going to be scared at first. Molly is now my fastest betta - she's quick! She'l slow down when she gets bigger as I suspect she'l outgrow the one that was a baby betta.

Baby bettas don't seem to always get up to full size.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #30 
Roemgie

Quote:
I keep them in breeder boxes if they're too small. I kept my baby betta in a breeder box for at least a month before I let her join the others. An advantage to being small though is speed. She was smaller than the rest when I let her join the sorority, but she wasn't afraid at all often chasing the queen and when the queen decided she was in charge, darted off real fast without a scratch! Her favorite area seems to be where the most current is - she can swim in it much better than the others.

I now have 2 new girls in the group and they are pretty small, Molly the smallest now. They are scared, but they are new to the group and after over a week in boxes in the tank they're still cautiously exploring even though they had full view inside the tank for so long. They're always going to be scared at first. Molly is now my fastest betta - she's quick! She'l slow down when she gets bigger as I suspect she'l outgrow the one that was a baby betta.

Baby bettas don't seem to always get up to full size.

I of course left my breeder box at home and wouldn't be able to get it until 2 weeks from now so unfortunately that isn't an option :(

And one of my new girls will chase my queen around and I'm like 'Oh snap!' So I'm pretty sure they're doing ok right now but I'm getting worried about another one of my girls.

I started a thread about her but right now she's kind of floating. She had some eye issues a few weeks ago and I don't think it was pop eye but more stess. It got better but her eye never went completely normal. When I first added her everyone was wary but when she stresses she gets swim bladder issues and so that happened and she got heavily picked on until I got the other girls, then she seemed to get a little better. I was thinking of moving her to my 5 gallon cycled tank for a few days to allow her to relax. And someone said they did that and their girl did get better.

But I guess my question is have you ever heard of this?