Betta Fish Forum banner

Guess what I got today...

2K views 49 replies 5 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
2 new bettas! This is actually the first time I've been able to get 2 at the same time :lol:! So, they're both being acclimated to their temporary tanks right now and my room has turned into a disaster area! I had to empty a bin from my closet to make room for the girl, and now I've got 2 sets of clamps sticking off of my 29 gallon that I have to remember not to bang into :roll:. Not to mention the mess on my floor. Oh well, the bettas are sooo worth it!

So, I got a green/red veiltail boy with the creamiest white body, and a cellophane girl who I think is actually a marble in disguise ;-). She has actually gotten some hints of color on her just being in warmer water. I think she might be a PK (female though, because she has an ovidepositor) too, because she's just really stocky looking. She makes my little Dizzle look like a baby. Actually, I was a little disappointed with Petco today. It looked like they were inbetween shipments, and besides not having many tail types, all the bettas looked pretty crummy and the cups were filthy.

So, later one they are both going to go into my 15 gallon planted tank, which I decided to divide. I was just going to get one giant betta to put in it, but some complaining from my mom about "only having 1 fish in 15 gallons of water" and my own desire to have tons of bettas made me change my mind.;-)

The thing that made me sad though, is that there was this one crowntail there that was floating on his side, obviously constipated but really not looking good. I was going to ask to take him, but I walked away and came back and he was gone! My mom said a guy took him to "the desk" where they just keep the sick fish until they die. I don't really have any more room....but maybe I'll try to convince my mom to go back and get him because I just can't stop thinking about him. I was kind of feeling sick (been sick all week) so that's why I didn't insist while I was there.

Anyway, pictures to come once I'm done acclimating and they settle in. I love getting new bettas!

See less See more
#30 ·
Well, my mom didn't come home till almost 6:00, so we couldn't hit either store today :( I don't even know if he is alive at this point, but I will hopefully at least try tomorrow.

The good thing is that I was picking up the poops on the bottom of the QT tanks with my turkey baster, and I noticed more dark ones and only about 1 light one each. So, I'm guessing it was just constipation. Come to think of it, both Diva and Cassanova did the same thing. So that's good news!

Hehe...yup, it's always 1 more...I don't really know when it will end!? I'll probably end up with a whole wall of 5 gal. betta barracks with all the bettas that I've "rescued" over the years! Now that I know that Petco has a place where they put all the sick ones it's going to be even worse lol! Every time I go in for filter cartridges or fish food I'll probably end up with another sick betta! Maybe I should just start a website where I can adopt them out...although I don't know how many people are out there that would want a "rescue betta" :/

#32 ·
It IS a fishroom by now lol!

#34 ·
So, I went to get the BWE (we'll see if Prof. Lupin stops biting because his water is REALLY dark now!) and the little brown betta was STILL there!! I was so horrified, but he wasn't for sale or anything and my mom refused to let me ask to get him because she said it was rude. I said it was "rude" to treat an animal like that! I would have insisted but I really have NO room left. I couldn't even think of anywhere to put him! Also, right beside him was a red betta in this TINY (like 2 cups of water) betta cube. He was just stuck in the plant and not moving at all :( It's so sad that I can't save them all. At least the store cleaned up it's act regarding ick, but those bettas were just pitiful (the others looked ok though, despite the cups being like half the size of Petco's). The other thing I'm worried about is what I will do with all my fish when I go off to college. If I go local for a while I know I can keep them here and take care of them, but if I want to be a vet I'll eventually have to go away....yuck, I hate the thought of living in apartments or dorms all that time!

#38 ·
Oh, this thing wasn't the actual "betta cube". It was just cube shaped...and sadly I wasn't exaggerating at all. That thing probably holds no more than 4 cups of water :( The sad part was that those two bettas that were "displaying" those cruel products were far away from the other bettas and they didn't look cared for at all. And, I don't think they were for sale, so it's not like it's a temporary container or anything :(

My 2 new guys (er...guy and girl) are doing well. I do think I am going to have to treat them for IP because the white poops have persisted, but I have 2 meds on hand so hopefully everything will go well. Other than that they are healthy, happy, and eating well :) Whenever I see abused bettas I go home and look at my happy little guys swimming all around their tanks and looking healthy and vibrant and I just think "WHY?"

#40 ·
You'd think! And how hard could it be to run a heating cable under the shelves?

I kinda confused now, both their poops are dark today. Weird, but I guess that's the purpose of QT - to observe them.

#45 ·
Maybe. I think it's also got something to do with the fact that they don't feed them very well and they are often constipated as well. Edelweiss has finally stopped tilting slightly when she stops swimming, so that's a good thing :).

#43 ·
Oh, I know that and I won't buy a betta to "rescue" it, but I will take them for a discount or free so that the store doesn't actually make any money off of them. I don't really buy much stuff from pet stores either, because that's just supporting them as well. I usually order from drsfostersmith.com, but if I only need one or two things it's not really worth it to pay for the shipping. Also, sometimes I need stuff in a hurry...

I think it's all a no win situation.

#46 ·
Nope, you didn't sound harsh at all ;-). It's so true, and it makes me mad as well and that is why I try not to feed into it as much as possible.

#49 ·
Edelweiss is so shy! She's finally gotten curious about me and will come over when I talk to her. Victor is definitely the most outgoing of the two, and he finally has gotten over the thermometer obsession lol! I think they'll be happy sharing a divided tank because they seem pretty mellow with eachother. I think that's the hardest part about divided tanks - finding two compatable fish. So far it seems that the male/female combos work the best because the males will get some exercise flirting, but the females just don't care if they haven't been conditioned to breed so there's no stress.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.