Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #11 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoutriotgrrrl View Post
Haha yeah, I try helping him out but sometimes he just wants to figure it out on his own. I told him though if he wants to buy a betta he has to have a 2.5 gal tank or nothing. That was my perimeter.

I'll try that. Or have him try that. I'm wondering if because we did a 100% water change last night if that just managed to stir things up.
There two different types of cloudy a tank can get... the first is stirred up detritus. but this will generally settle over time.
The second is a bacterial or algae bloom. these are suspended in the water column and will not settle no matter how long you give it. lol

this type will naturally clear up when all the extra nutrients is consumed.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #12 
shoutriotgrrrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
There two different types of cloudy a tank can get... the first is stirred up detritus. but this will generally settle over time.
The second is a bacterial or algae bloom. these are suspended in the water column and will not settle no matter how long you give it. lol

this type will naturally clear up when all the extra nutrients is consumed.
I suppose my main concern is how long is it okay to let it try and settle before it becomes dangerous for the fish?? I wish I had my water testing kit here.. I lived in WA State and moved up here to NY with my husband since he's in the army.

I had to leave my 10 gallon tank at my parents and everything with it because we had to fly up instead of drive (thankfully my mom is taking great care of the tank and my betta I left with her. He seems to be thriving).
shoutriotgrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #13 
10asartin

Whether it is stirred up detritus, bacteria, or algae it isn't the best condition for your fish. I would suggest frequent water changes and as others have said vacuuming the gravel which will remove a lot of detritus that could be the source of the bacteria problem. I definitely wouldn't let it remain cloudy for an extended period, especially since you are unable to test the water and don't know if the parameters are safe. However, you could always run to walmart and pick up a simple testing kit.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #14 
shoutriotgrrrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10asartin View Post
Whether it is stirred up detritus, bacteria, or algae it isn't the best condition for your fish. I would suggest frequent water changes and as others have said vacuuming the gravel which will remove a lot of detritus that could be the source of the bacteria problem. I definitely wouldn't let it remain cloudy for an extended period, especially since you are unable to test the water and don't know if the parameters are safe. However, you could always run to walmart and pick up a simple testing kit.
Okay, perfect! Happy to know if that it's not the best condition for him, now I can actually make some changes. I just didn't want to do too much/not enough and make things worse. The weird thing is we have the same exact tank (he had more creatures living in his for awhile) got the same exact time and everything and his is so extremely cloudy while mine hardly gets cloudy between changes.

He's pretty frustrated lol.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #15 
sunlight

You have 2.5 gall tank and you already did 100% water changes. If he don't want to vacuum the gravel he can just continue to do 1- 50% and 1-100% water changes weekly. If you acclimate betta properly he not going to get stressed. If you cycle the tank you still need to do 2-50% water changes and vacuum the gravel and monitor the water, and rinse the filter media. If you not going to cycle it just the same water changes , and you don't have to vacuum , rinse the filter.....
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #16 
shoutriotgrrrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlight View Post
You have 2.5 gall tank and you already did 100% water changes. If he don't want to vacuum the gravel he can just continue to do 1- 50% and 1-100% water changes weekly. If you acclimate betta properly he not going to get stressed. If you cycle the tank you still need to do 2-50% water changes and vacuum the gravel and monitor the water, and rinse the filter media. If you not going to cycle it just the same water changes , and you don't have to vacuum , rinse the filter.....
Awesome, this is a perfect outline for him to follow. Thanks so much!
He bought a filter for a 3 gallon tank and he's worried about the flow being to strong for his fish. I'm gonna try the water bottle trick and hope the filter isn't too small.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #17 
sunlight

If he will do 2-50% and 1-100% every 7 days he really don't need a filter . You can just go and return it. But you do need to acclimate the betta to the new water temperature so he don't shock him with drastic temperature change.
Wait i will post the link with acclimation instructions for you. I need to find it....I saw someone posted it and i like it
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #18 
ANHEL123

He can have betta in the changing cup with about 15% of the water and keep adding small amount of the new water about every 5 min for about 5-6 times -this way you he will get used to the temperature:) Sorry i know there is a few more ways to acclimate .
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #19 
sunlight

There are many ways to do a water change and acclimate (reintroduce) your fish back into the tank. Here is one variation that's pretty simple:
Note the temperature of the water.
Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp. Be sure to add the correct amount of water conditioner.
Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min. (Study during this time. If he sits longer, it's OK.)
Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
Let his cup float for about 10 min. (Study during this time. If he sits longer, it's OK.)
If the cup starts to fill too much, remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
Repeat steps 5-7, until about an hour has passed. (If he sits longer because you're studying, that's OK.)
Gently release him into the tank.

Big water changes should have careful acclimation like this:

Quote:
To do a water change, use a little cup like a plastic solo cup - this cup must be only for him and have never been used with soap or other chems. Scoop him up in this cup (keep him in the cup about 1/4 full of water - it doesn't need to be much because he won't be in it for long) and leave him in the cup while you change his water. To do the 50% use a turkey baster - dedicated only to him that has never seen soap or chems - and drag it through the gravel and try to suck as much of the poop out as possible, in addition to 50% of the water. Use a thermometer under the running tap to get it to be the same temp as the water that is normally in his tank. When the thermometer says the flowing tap is the right temp, fill back up his tank. At this point, add the conditioner (dose for how much water you change - if you change half the water you add half gallon worth of conditioner, If you do a 100% water change dose for the full gallon change). Float his plastic cup with him in it in the new water. Slowly add a couple tablespoons of the new water into his cup every 10 minutes for at least an hour. Finally, dump him in gently but try to get as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. When you do the weekly 100% you will do mostly the same thing except empty his tank fully and rinse everything in it very well under warm water but never use soaps or chemicals. Once it's fully cleaned/rinsed you can refill it and repeat the cup/acclimate phase.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #20 
shoutriotgrrrl

Thanks guys for all the help! We did two water changes yesterday (both 50% after the first one didn't seem to have any affect on the cloudiness--the second one we vacuumed), and finally everything has seemed to settle down. It still looks a little dirty, but it's a huge improvement. I'll probably help him out with another change tomorrow and hopefully the tank will look much prettier (: