Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2013, 10:42 PM   #1 
angelfish11788

bubble nest, happiness and sponge filters

the self proclaimed sponge master is confused. I have 4 bettas divided in a 20 long, the are so happy, all of them have bubble nests, heck my HM plakat's is even so big it cover his whole top of water. OK, so the betta were the sponge filter resides is the only one without a bubble nest, I have tried every setting of ther gang valve to get it were he wants to build a nest. Other than no sign of a nest he is perfectly fine and eating well. If i turn the sponge down anymore the tank wont be filtered. SO is the reason there is no nest because of the sponge being there or am i missing the nest because there is more disruption in the water making it disapear. Even in my other tanks, all my boys make nests; so this is new to me,
angelfish11788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:35 PM   #2 
logisticsguy

My guy made a good nest while this sponge was running pretty fast. Im not sure its the best or anything but its working for me. Just a cheap feeding ring but hardly a ripply outside of the ring.

Last edited by logisticsguy; 04-12-2013 at 11:37 PM.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:36 PM   #3 
VincentTH

My guess is that when the betta sees movement in the water, it would not blow a bubble. I would cut off the bottom from a styrofoam cup, and put the resulting foam-ring over the filter tube. It will break the water movement, and if the flow is gentle, your betta may decide to blow a nest.

I do this also in my breed tank in order to encourage the male to blow his nest.
VincentTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:25 AM   #4 
angelfish11788

ok, i will try that, thanks
angelfish11788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #5 
waterdog

Bettas don't have to build bubble nests unless you just like them, or want to breed them. Bubblenests are no sign of health in bettas, just a biological function. Clean water is the key to health and filtration is the key to clean water.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote