Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2013, 10:37 PM   #1 
Tamsin

Qu. about lighting

This has probably been covered in another thread but I haven't found it yet. My 2 boys are in 4 and 6 gallon tanks without hoods/lights. They are in our main dining/kitchen area that gets plenty of sunlight and unnatural light during the day. (not right near any windows, mind you)
I'm I was just wondering, are their any benefits *to the fish* to have a proper aquarium light? The only live plant in the tanks is duckweed which is pretty impossible to kill so I'm not worried about that. I just can't seem to find anywhere that says whether a light is actually beneficial or only necessary for plants.
Tamsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:02 PM   #2 
Briz

I don't believe the fish require the "daylight" lighting of 5000/6500K, but only depend on*a* light during the day, and darkness at night. (They like to sleep with the lights off!) Light on constantly will throw them off, and you certainly don't want to keep them in the dark 24/7. I think they are just fine with the natural lighting and timing of the sun.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:12 PM   #3 
kyle89

As long as the kitchen lights are not on really late you should be fine. Bettas don't have eyelids so that's why they need dark to sleep
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote