Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #1 
delagarza27

Exclamation Fin rot... Clean aquarium... How do I clear it out?

So I have a ten gallon aquarium with two bettas, and African dwarf frog and, and mystery snail. Its divided into two five gallon sides. One of my bettas that I have had for two years got fin rot a while back and has been recovering just fine. But I recently got betta number two and his fins were fine when I brought him home. Now however they are becoming frayed on the ends and I'm not sure why. I guess that he could have brought it with him from the store. Or betta one could have given it to him. Or hes been tail biting...? Well I have him in a QT with some aquarium salt and betta one is still in the tank. My question is what I should do about my tank. I need to get rid of possible bacteria but i'm not sure how to go about it. I only have one QT so I can't pull everybody out and do a 100 percent water change. I do have aquarium salt, stress coat, and melafix. Should I try to dose the entire tank? Or would those things harm the frog and snail? I could change the majority of the water but not all and that would take me a really long time with trying to get the temperature right. Please help! Any suggestions are appreciated.
delagarza27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Actually as I have learned here, aquarium salt does nothing for fin rot. It is possible that he could have just caught it on something in the tank or sometimes they get caught in the filter flow.

Also, can he see the other betta? I know my boys Remmy and Ditto are housed in a similar situation and sometimes they can flare too hard or too long at their neighbor and end up with split fins or blown fins (which are little circular tears in their fins) I would do a 50% water change, use the stress coat and just make sure it's warm water. Warm, clean water should heal him up fine, it might take a while but it will work. The tank should be fine if you do the 50% and do another one towards the end of the week so you have two water changes in one week. To QT the betta with rot, just make sure his water stays warm, so if you can float him in the tank on his side. If it's a 1 gallon you can just do half of it and change the water everyday, try to keep the temperature as close as you can. Add the stress coat and only half the dose of melafix, so essentially 1 or 2 drops at each water change. The rot should go away in a few days to a week but it will take about a month or so for the fins to regenerate completely with warm, clean water.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #3 
delagarza27

They can see each other but it is a fine mesh divider so they only see shadows really. They flair occasionally. It might have been the filter. He is floating in the tank on his side so he is nice and warm. The last time I dealt with fin rot I though aquarium salt worked wonders though. It also rescued him for some swim bladder. So I am a believer. Thank you for the advice. I will update on how he is doing.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by delagarza27 View Post
They can see each other but it is a fine mesh divider so they only see shadows really. They flair occasionally. It might have been the filter. He is floating in the tank on his side so he is nice and warm. The last time I dealt with fin rot I though aquarium salt worked wonders though. It also rescued him for some swim bladder. So I am a believer. Thank you for the advice. I will update on how he is doing.
Oh good, sounds great! Yeah I usually use aquarium salt for lots of things until I discovered on this thread actually, that it hurts their liver system I believe if I'm remembering correctly. But good clean, warm water should do the trick!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #5 
Lena N

delagarza27 Sorry to interrupt, but could you please tell me what colour fine mesh devider do you have and where did you buy that mesh?
I bought Top Fin tank devider and my Bettas can see each other pretty well trhough that and they flare all day long...
Lena N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #6 
delagarza27

Actually, I made mine. I didn't think top fin was going to work for that very reason. I got some stuff from hobby lobby and not even the frog can get around it. I have two sheets of plastic mesh, some fishing line, and a few plastic hangers. I pretty much just cut the mesh to the right size, broke the plastic hangers to brace the sides and then threaded the fishing line around it. I'll upload photos but i'm not sure how to do that to a thread yet. They are in the attached files. I suppose I could upload a tutorial if you needed me to. One side is black and the other is white. It looks really good surprisingly. Sort of zen.

P.S. That's my little quarantine bowl floating there.

P.P.S If you are okay with a needle then you could be able to hand stitch another piece of mesh to the divider you already have. that would also make it harder for them to see each other.
Attached Images

Last edited by delagarza27; 04-16-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:35 AM   #7 
Lena N

delagarza27 Thank you very much for information and nice photos. That mesh you have is better for flow as Top Fin's one has very small holes in it. And probably different colours of those mesh sheets is great idea to make devider construction less visible. I searched in internet and closest hobby lobby is 43 miles from me, but sometimes we drive to that town actually. Yes, I am very good with needle I only do not understand what kind of "plastic hangers" you used. Sorry, English is not my native language and I know only "hangers" used for clothes but those in your tank do not look like those. So if you could explain please what "hangers" did you brake?
Thank you for answering and your time. I really appritiate it!
Old 04-17-2013, 12:39 AM   #8 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Actually as I have learned here, aquarium salt does nothing for fin rot.
I disagree, actually I learned from this forum to cure my fin rot with 5cc/1g of AQ salt to cure the fin rot of my first betta Fred. I had 100% WC every day for 5 days and increased to 10cc/1g form day 6-10 in my 2.5g MBT then.

I got help from Sakura,and Callistra.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:44 AM   #9 
Lena N

Otterfun One of mine also has fin rot (I already treated him with medicine for 4 days). What is 5cc/1g? I undrestand 1g is Gallon, and what is 5cc?
Old 04-17-2013, 02:46 AM   #10 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena N View Post
Otterfun One of mine also has fin rot (I already treated him with medicine for 4 days). What is 5cc/1g? I undrestand 1g is Gallon, and what is 5cc?
5cc is a measurement, so it means 5cc per 1 gallon of water. If you have Aqueon water conditioner or a medication cup, look for 5cc or 5mL line and measure the salt accordingly. HTH.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning, disease, fin rot, help betta has fin rot, treatment