Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2009, 04:53 PM   #11 
Kim

Just download the pictures to your computer and save them in a file. On here, click the "add new post" button so that you get the full screen to add a post. Click the paperclip button and a window will pop up. Browse for your file, then click upload. You can then close the window. Put your cursor wherever you want the picture to appear in your message, and click the little down arrow next to the paperclip button. Click on the tag that appears below (your image's number) and it will be inserted into the post. If your setup is different there is an alternate way that I can explain to you, but I think this is the easiest personally. Hope this helps.

From what you said it does sound like a very stubborn case of fin rot. I'll post more later.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #12 
amyw16

I have windows. I'm going to try to use photobucket, but the last time I tried uploading from my camera and memory card it wouldn't work. I've been having to wait until I get the cd from the store to put them on the computer.
Today I did a complete overhaul of his tank and cleaned everything and only reused a little of the old water. He is swimming around more and isn't sitting not moving like he has been. His fins are just terrible though. Any suggestions about what else to do for that would be appreciated. And I'll keep working on the pic in the mean time.
amyw16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:09 AM   #13 
Kim

If you cleaned everything, then his tank won't be cycled anymore. So, I'd do complete water changes (like you did) every 3-4 days or as any medication directs. As far as meds...well, maracyn treats gram-positive bacteria and fin rot is normally gram-negative or so I'm told. You could try maracyn II, or tetracycline (you can get it in the form of Maracyn-TC). I normally recommend Fungus Clear because I've had great luck with it. What are the active ingredients in the Fungus Eliminator? I don't know if they are the same as the Fungus Clear or not.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:19 AM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

They have the same ingredients, except the Fungus Eliminator has salt. I have both and I just checked the ingredients. The active ingredients are nitrofurazone, furazolidone, and potassium dichromate.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:03 PM   #15 
amyw16

Okay, thank you. He is actually doing really well. He's swimming around and acting normal again. He still looks bad, but his behavior is much better. We can't believe it b/c we both thought he was dead more than one time!
Can I keep using the meds like fungus eliminator? Both of the ones I have say you can repeat the treatment a second time if necessary. Which I've done. Can or should I use one of them again?
Old 03-05-2009, 04:34 PM   #16 
Kim

If they haven't worked the first two times then I wouldn't bother trying them again. I'd try one of the other two that I listed above.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:46 PM   #17 
amyw16

Okay. I was confused about the Maracyn. The box I bought says on the front that it's for fin rot, popeye, etc. Then I looked at the insert after I read what you wrote and I answered the questions on the flow chart and it told me I needed to use Maracyn II, which is what you said. I don't know why the regular Maracyn says it can be used for the same stuff. Oh well. I'm going to go out tomorrow and get the other and hopefully that will work. He's still doing okay. He's puffing at me again when I look in his tank and he's swimming around. Maybe he'll come through this. I'll let you know how it goes after I get the other med. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #18 
amyw16

Do you think I should start adding aquarium salt too. I read in one of the ebooks I have that it can help speed healing and prevent illness.
I'm definately going to use the Maracyn II first, but let me know what you think about the salt. Thanks again.