Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2013, 11:52 PM   #1 
PeppermintHippo

Too Good To Be True?

So, I am new to this forum, so hi all . I didn't know where else to post this question so I settled for here, I hope its correct. While lurking Aquabid I came across this fish, which is pretty much my dream betta. I can't help but think the colors look too good to be true though, so before I run out and buy another tank and this fish I just wanted some more input from more experienced people. What do you think? Does the betta really look like that? Does anyone have experience with this seller?

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1366731216 <---- Le' fish in question.
PeppermintHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:55 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

That fish looks completely legitimate to me. Excellent form to. Look at the sellers reviews!
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:59 PM   #3 
PeppermintHippo

I did, and they get good reviews but mostly from the same people, which I guess says something too. I've never bought off of Aquabid though, so buying a betta online and all the potential pitfalls that came come with it makes me twitchy. Hence why I wanted more opinions. but thank you ^^.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:29 AM   #4 
PeppermintHippo

*sigh* Signed up for Aquabid, as soon as they're done reviewing my registration that fish is mine. All my attempts at talking myself out of it failed, even my husband, my voice of reason, is saying, "Yeah, get it."
Old 04-17-2013, 01:12 AM   #5 
bniebetta

i feel your pain exactly.... the waiting to be approved for aquabid thing is terrible. Don't worry, you'll get him :) If not, I think maybe there is another fish meant for you instead. It had happened to me. I have learned just to get fish that really speak to me, otherwise I end up regretting it later, always thinking about "that" fish. If you can afford it and provide for it, it's yours :)
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:32 AM   #6 
ZubinBetta

I have not had a fish shipped to me, but from what I have observed on this forum, it strikes me that there are multiple explanations/causes why the fish you bid on, properly offered for sale, may not look exactly like that picture, when he arrives. Sometimes in transit the bettas bite their tails, and they can get knocked about quite a bit, too, besides being terribly stressed from a long journey in a box. And you know of course that there is great art in being able to take a picture like the one that stole your heart on Aquabid. Bettas are magical and beautiful creatures, but they are alive, and their appearances and colors have a way of shifting. That photographer captured an enduring moment in time; is there a way for you to obtain permission to download/print that picture? Even though you'll have "the fish," you'll want a picture of him at his best--unless you are also gifted as a photographer. Finally, even accurate pictures can be deceiving because they are just pictures of a multidimensional living being that will also some day leave this world. All of this to say, please enjoy your new betta and love him wholeheartedly, and don't be disappointed if he is not quite "picture-perfect."
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:20 AM   #7 
PeppermintHippo

I understand what your saying about color fluctuations, I own a betta already so I know how they can be. Its not 'picture-perfect' I'm worried about, its full on photoshop that I'm concerned about XD. I just like knowing what I'm doing as much as I can before I do it, and since I don't have experience in online ordering when it comes to fish I thought the next best thing would be to try and ask people who might know in case there are pitfalls I'm unaware of.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:01 AM   #8 
Laurenie

Oooh, I'm really liking his dorsal fin for some reason, and I've always been a fan of BFs lol. Nice choice! I agree with MattsBettas that the picture looks pretty legitimate. Also agree that his finnage especially has great form--dorsal, caudal, and anal are all pretty darn close to being even lengths with great proportions in particular.

I personally don't doubt that the betta really does look like that. Granted, I also have no doubt that the pictures many sellers post on Aquabid are basically professional quality, taken using very high quality cameras along with other equipment to provide the best lighting, etc. and then choose the very best picture to use--personally I don't blame them, they're trying to sell something so of course they want to present it looking as appealing as possible. Obviously any "doctoring" of photos actually that actually alter the appearance of certain traits is in a different category and definitely not ok. I don't think thats what ZubinBetta meant to imply at all, but I'm guessing it isn't unheard of, again though, personally I don't think thats a concern in this case. His colors aren't going to appear as vivid or the iridescence as obvious ALL the time, but with good lighting and at certain angles when he's moving around, I have no doubt he'll really look as good as in the pic. I know that I've seen blues that bright and vivid, reds that deep and rich, and very striking iridescence on bettas in person. And compared to some of the pictures I see on Aquabid, I think thats likely a pretty accurate representation of what he "really" looks like--I'm sure you know what I mean about certain pics--the ones where its an odd angle to show a betta at, or where its obvious that the lighting used is making the colors show up in a way they never actually will in person, stuff like that.

Anyway, thats my opinion, but I don't have any personal experience with that seller, although any time I'm browsing bettas on aquabid (which is a lot), his tend to stand out to me as far as ones I consider particularly nice, or personal favorites. Maybe check out the "Aquabid" thread in this section, it shouldn't be very far down, and start with the most recent posts, I know theres at least several people that post on it who've ordered bettas from Aquabid, some of them many times. It might not be a bad idea to PM a couple of the people who've gotten at least several Aquabid bettas and ask for their opinion and whether they have any experience or pertinent knowledge of that seller.

As far as bettas arriving with physical damage like torn/nipped fins, obviously it does happen and is an inherent risk of having bettas shipped to you. I've had bettas shipped to me from an online seller twice in the past, and while she was in the states so obvs a shorter trip, they all arrived just fine--fins still in the same condition as the pictures I saw. And actually I'm getting 7 new bettas on Thursday, again shipped from a breeder in the states, but still a considerable trip, and while I'm certainly hoping they have as low-stress a journey as possible and no fin biting occurs, but if it does I won't be shocked--with proper care and some TLC they'll eventually regrow, there are definitely worse things, heh.

You'll definitely have to keep us updated on him!
Laurenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #9 
Catw0man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintHippo View Post
I understand what your saying about color fluctuations, I own a betta already so I know how they can be. Its not 'picture-perfect' I'm worried about, its full on photoshop that I'm concerned about XD. I just like knowing what I'm doing as much as I can before I do it, and since I don't have experience in online ordering when it comes to fish I thought the next best thing would be to try and ask people who might know in case there are pitfalls I'm unaware of.
I've bought several of Phusit's fish and they have been beautiful. The only concern I would have is that the color blue does not always photograph "true"....I have bought fish that I believed were blue, but they were most certainly turquoise or "green" rather than blue. I always look for the actual word "blue" in the description....or contact the seller to see if the fish is really the colors I'm seeing in the picture.
Catw0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:18 AM   #10 
Laurenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catw0man View Post
I've bought several of Phusit's fish and they have been beautiful. The only concern I would have is that the color blue does not always photograph "true"....I have bought fish that I believed were blue, but they were most certainly turquoise or "green" rather than blue. I always look for the actual word "blue" in the description....or contact the seller to see if the fish is really the colors I'm seeing in the picture.
Thanks so much for chiming in Catw0man! I just searched the aquabid pic thread for "phusit" and saw that you'd actually purchased fish from him so already had you in mind as one of the best people to talk to. And now that you bring it up, I think I know exactly what you mean regarding turquoise/green possibly photographing as blue, but its not something I ever would have thought of myself. Is it related to iridescence do you think? Most "greens" have a blue tint anyway, but for example, my most recent betta impulse purchase is a DT tri-color male (pretty positive he's technically a HMDT since his caudals spread to 180* but he was "labeled" as a regular DT which is fine, they're half the price :P) and he has a green body with green, black, and white spread in random patches over his fins. But sometimes when he moves a certain way, or the light hits him from the right angle, everywhere thats turquoise/green suddenly looks extremely blue, an effect of spread iridescence I'm assuming. I've been meaning to take pictures of him under different types of lighting to actually see how the color shows up in them but keep procrastinating.
Laurenie is offline   Reply With Quote