Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2013, 03:36 AM   #11 
Lena N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
5cc is a measurement, so it means 5cc per 1 gallon of water. If you have Aqueon water conditioner or a medication cup, look for 5cc or 5mL line and measure the salt accordingly. HTH.
Thank you. I will look for medication cup at home tomorrow, if I do not find I will ask at CVS pharmacy.
Lena N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:22 AM   #12 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
I disagree, actually I learned from this forum to cure my fin rot with 5cc/1g of AQ salt to cure the fin rot of my first betta Fred.

I got help from Sakura,and Callistra.
Oy vey, so much conflicting information! Maybe I'm thinking good for fin rot but not for healing fins? I'm not entirely sure, but I had commented elsewhere and like three people told me that salt was bad for them. I think I'll just go find a lovely corner to sit in and just lurk lol.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #13 
delagarza27

Most of the API treatments and conditioners use mL and they include a measuring cup right on the cap. Very convenient. The hangers I used were clothing hangers. I cut a little notch in each end with a knife where I wanted them to break and then bent them at that point till they did. The bottom of the hangers were long enough for my aquarium but Hobby Lobby is sure to have some kind of plastic dowel that can be used as well. Really you just need something to brace the sides with so that the fish can't get around the sides or bottom because the mesh is pliable. Plastic seemed like the easiest and safest thing to use for my tank. If you are going to Hobby Lobby, I found my little plastic mesh crafting sheets over with the sewing things. They also come in a variety of colors. I have two layers stitched together, one side is white and one is black. I just threaded the fishing line through both.
delagarza27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #14 
Catw0man

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Oy vey, so much conflicting information! Maybe I'm thinking good for fin rot but not for healing fins? I'm not entirely sure, but I had commented elsewhere and like three people told me that salt was bad for them. I think I'll just go find a lovely corner to sit in and just lurk lol.
I too, have not had any luck treating fin rot with just aquarium salt....maybe I just don'[t have the patience to follow the treatment plan for aquarium salt. Anyway, I'll come lurk in the corner with you....lol.
Catw0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #15 
delagarza27

No lurking required. I hate leaving my baby in his QT for so long but it really does work. The stress coat helps too. But I do understand that using AQ salt at the wrong dose or too frequently can cause liver damage so you are not wrong. I trust it to help with these minor cases of fin rot.

Last edited by delagarza27; 04-17-2013 at 09:21 AM.
delagarza27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #16 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
You probably were reading about fin regrowth.
As fin rot is curing, there will also be fin retro with. By adding Stress coat+ will help with fin regrowth. Usually the black rot will fall of and you will see white tips and finally the natural color of the betta.

Last edited by Otterfun; 04-17-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #17 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by delagarza27 View Post
No lurking required. I hate leaving my baby in his QT for so long but it really does work. The stress coat helps too. But I do understand that using AQ salt at the wrong dose or too frequently can cause liver damage so you are not wrong. I trust it to help with these minor cases of fin rot.
10 days max of AQ Salt usage.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #18 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena N View Post
Otterfun One of mine also has fin rot (I already treated him with medicine for 4 days). What is 5cc/1g? I undrestand 1g is Gallon, and what is 5cc?
In my case, I increased the dosage to 10cc/1g from day 6-10. You may want to try that and look for the black edges to fall off or turning to grey. Then when that part is gone, you will see white tips of fin regrowth, the the white tips will change to the color of the fin. Adding Stress Coat+ will help speed things up, too.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #19 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

http://bettasplendid.weebly.com/fin-rot-101.html <-- this was what I used when I first had a case of finrot over a year ago and it worked great. Okay, I've got my facts straight now I think.
Aquarium salt predisolved for fin rot/fin fungus and then to help heal just stress coat, good warm and clean water. If this is right I'll stop lurking lol
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #20 
VincentTH

1cc (Centimeter Cube) = 1mL, 1dm3 = 1Litter = 1000 cc and weight exactly 1kilogram (Believe it or not, the metric system was implemented/decreed by Napoleon Bonaparte)

I am still confused on the use of Aquarium Salt. Some (even Thailand Betta breeders) recommend adding salt to the water to prevent Fungus and Itch, and yet I read here that Salt damage Betta's liver.

Last edited by VincentTH; 04-17-2013 at 02:08 PM.
VincentTH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning, disease, fin rot, help betta has fin rot, treatment