Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2013, 11:18 PM   #21 
Hadoken Kitty

Awesome. Yay conveniently timed holidays!!! Keep us posted. (:
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #22 
BatCakes

Just a quick update for anyone who is interested. My fish is eating really well. Too well actually, I feed him two pellets in the morning and three at night (the really tiny NLS pellets) and he spazzes all day acting like he wants more food. Should I feed him more?

Bought a new heater as well that actually keeps him at 80, and he's way more active.
BatCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #23 
VJM

How many pellets to feed varies from fish to fish. Eight a day is kind of the high side of normal. Try to split feedings onto morning and evening.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #24 
Hadoken Kitty

I have some extremely large males from Thailand that I will feed four twice a day, but sometimes I will only feed them four once a day. My smaller males get two twice a day, or two once a day. I know that eight is borderline overfeeding, but my Thai males are quite large.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #25 
ANHEL123

Hey guys I know I am late on this discussion, but I found this thread and I want to post it. BatCakes I hope your betta doing wellJ

Tetra betta is really a horrible pellet brand. Its basically mostly all fillers like wheat and soy, which are difficult for a carnivorous betta to digest and really aren't all that tasty. Tetra betta has been refused by the fish of probably at least half of the keepers who have fed this that I've read about, even if your betta is the tiniest bit picky they're not going to take to it....and since you've already spoiled them on bloodworms, you're not going to get them to eat this brand probably.
I would very highly suggest heading over to your local Petco/ordering online some New Life Spectrum Betta/Small fish formula pellets, cease feeding of all other foods, and get them on that as a staple diet(as I described in one of my previous posts). Never had a betta who refused NLS(its nice and small, has a few good meats and meat meals up nearer the top then most brands including the first two, and includes garlic to promote appetite and has some anti parasitic properties), and have only ever heard of a couple rare cases where they did.

Once they are on a good pellet, you can certainly incorporate the flakes/frozen/freeze-dried foods back into their diet for variety(which is always good), but a good pellet as a staple is important to keep their diet well rounded.

Also, be careful with the Omgea flakes...I've read a lot of things about bones being found in them, which can be dangerous. Lately I've also been reading a LOT about the somewhat iffy ingredients in Omega products(I'm afraid I don't have any links right in front of me, but you can do a search of the forum/google and find a few things if you're curious), so I'd be cautious of them over all. Not saying you should just throw it all out or anything, but it never hurts to be aware.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #26 
BatCakes

I've been feeding my betta NLS for a while now, and he seems to really like it. The only problem is he ALWAYS seems to be hungry. He swims back and forth in front of the tank opening and closing his mouth, and if he sees me pick up the container for the pellets he does it even more. I think he has a lot more energy cause his heater actually keeps him warm, but I feed him twice a day (about 4 pellets each time) and I figured that this should be okay since they're so small. Even with that much, he seems hungry again around the middle of the day.
BatCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #27 
knini09

so how did you do it? you just idnt offer him anyfood cuz you were on vacay? and when you came he eat? I may do that mine is not eating and is been a week plus ugh....
knini09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #28 
ANHEL123

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatCakes View Post
I've been feeding my betta NLS for a while now, and he seems to really like it. The only problem is he ALWAYS seems to be hungry. He swims back and forth in front of the tank opening and closing his mouth, and if he sees me pick up the container for the pellets he does it even more. I think he has a lot more energy cause his heater actually keeps him warm, but I feed him twice a day (about 4 pellets each time) and I figured that this should be okay since they're so small. Even with that much, he seems hungry again around the middle of the day.
I would think NLS 2 times a day 4 is ok but don't give more than that. Bettas are always hungry and don't know when to stop:) But overfeeding can lead to swim bladder problems.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #29 
bettacrazygirl86

Are the pellets the "small fish" pellets or "betta formula"? If it's the betta formula, I wouldn't give him any more than 8 pellets a day. I feed my bettas 6 a day. However, I have the small fish pellets to feed to my baby betta. If that's what you're feeding to an adult betta, you could probably double the amount of food you give him, or even triple. Those pellets are super tiny.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote