Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #1 
Roemgie

Ripped fins, swim bladder issues, sorority problems

Hello!

So I finally got my sorority tank up and running! And turns out I'll be here for the summer so I'm trying to figure out what to do with my girls for two weeks when I get to go home before it all starts.

SO I believe I added my 3 girls about 4 days ago and just added my two newest members about 2.5 hours ago.

I know that 4 is the minimum for sororities and 6 is max for a 10 gallon tank. But I also know that with enough cover 3 would be ok as long as no one was deathly aggressive or dominate.

Everything seemed to be going well until I noticed Opal having floating issues and having torn fins.

Here is what my 10 gallon looks like

I have driftwood in my 5 gallon currently that I'm making sure is really ready to go into my 10 gallon. Here's a picture of it in my 5

I'm pretty sure everyone will love it if it is ready to go into the tank tomorrow.

Here is what Opal looked like before

This what she looks like today

She seems ok but I'm wondering if I should let her go into my 5 gallon for a few days (since I have the two new girls) and then put her back in when she seems better OR if that's just the regular order of things and to just make sure she doesn't get worse?

Here is the rest of my gang

Maybelline (her tail fin and dorsal fin have some rips in them but nothing serious)

Ceylon (who doesn't show any signs of being beaten up)

New Girl 1

New Girl 2
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #2 
bannlow2471

I will be following this as I now have two female crowntails and have a 10 gallon tank that I want to set up as a sorority tank when I find three or four more females. As a fairly new Betta keeper I have no advice to offer you but I will be eagerly soaking up the other replies. FWIW, your tank is beautiful and so are your girls!
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #3 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannlow2471 View Post
I will be following this as I now have two female crowntails and have a 10 gallon tank that I want to set up as a sorority tank when I find three or four more females. As a fairly new Betta keeper I have no advice to offer you but I will be eagerly soaking up the other replies. FWIW, your tank is beautiful and so are your girls!
Hopefully we'll both be able to get some good advice from this! I must say I have read or heard that crowntail Males are very aggressive, actually the most aggressive of the breeds (male wise). Now I just went ahead and assumed that females could have the same tendencies (but like us it's all on their personality) So hopefully you keep your two girls right next to each other so they can see one another :) that's what I did at least!

Now have you started cycling your 10 gallon? And do you know how? Because whether or not you get your girls soon once you have them you're going to want to get them all together in the right home. At least I know once my 10 was ready I was ready to get them into there and happy :)
Old 04-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #4 
Roemgie

Hey guys!! SO I just found out that Opal's problems was pellets. I feed them New Life Spectrum and Omega 3 (both highly recommended as great for their diets) and yesterday I finally took out my frozen bloodworms to feed the girls. Well today Opal is swimming amazingly and is completely normal!! So I think maybe the pellets were expanding in her tummy or something and so it made it hard for her to digest? Who knows but she's normal again now!!