Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #1 
jadaBlu

If you move tank water, filter and all decor to new tank will the BB survive?

In comparing cost I am seeing it's probably going to be cheaper to divide my tank with frosted glass. I have enough sponge filters and heater from the existing tank and the glass is free. I'd have to buy more aquarium silicone. I want to move the water from 5 gallon tanks the fish may gain a gallon. I also have cycled 2 gallons but I am thinking with two gallons and gaining 4 would actually start the cycle over. If I take out my fish and do the change quickly is it likely enough BB will survive not to break the cycle?
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:29 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

If you transition the filter directly from one tank to another, most likely they will survive.
Keep in mind that beneficial bacteria also colonises surfaces, so you may still get a mini cycle. I would suggest to test your water and take adequate measure to keep the water quality in check :)
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #3 
OrangeAugust

I did pretty much the same thing- moved my betta from my five gallon to a new 10 gallon divided 3 ways. I just transferred some of the water, all of the gravel, and put in the filter cartridge from my old filter into the new filter and I never had any readings of ammonia or nitrites. Pretty much cycled instantaneously.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #4 
DefStatic

Yes, you have to do it quickly though. And still want to pay attention with testing.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote