Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #11 
Pauline

Here's a {really bad} photo of my wee tank. Bluu (the betta) can be glimpsed in the bottom right corner, hiding ostrich-fashion in the plants.
Attached Images

Pauline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #12 
Myates

Until you get more room, that tank looks like it should be fine. As long as Bluu (cute name, I have one named Blu :) ) isn't harming the others then just continue monitoring them. You have live plants, which helps tremendously with water quality.

The tank looks like there is enough space for them to swim around comfortable.. so go ahead and leave them together until the tetras get too big or mean, then you can look into getting a 7.5L tank for just Bluu if need be.

As for the water changes, now that I know you have live plants it will change the %... for that many fish with live plants I recommend just doing 2 25% a week... siphoning the gravel 2-3x a month. Normally you would only do one change a week, but with that many fish just (in my opinion) better to do two small ones to help keep it fresh throughout the week.

Many bettas live worse off than that for years, you are doing your best and that counts :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #13 
Laki

Cute tank setup! +1 to Myates.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #14 
Pauline

Thank you Myates, I'm so relieved! Everyone seems to be getting along ok, and I've just bought some more live plants because the cardinals like to swim around plants too, so that should help Bluu too. I'll put them in at the next water change. Starting to feel a bit better about my impulse-buy. Thank you. Pxx
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #15 
Pauline

Bluu

Name:  Bluu.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  66.4 KB
Old 04-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #16 
Laki

Okay. True royals are among my favorites!! He's simply great.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #17 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hi there and Bluu looks so much like my Royal Blue Crowntail, his name is Perseus . I am happy to hear everyone is getting along well so far. Its great you have live plants in your tank that is one of the best things you can do for fish ! Keep us updated on how they are all doing and welcome to the forum .
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #18 
Pauline

Everybody's still alive

Thanks Perseusmom. Well, Bluu didn't murder anyone overnight, and today I got him a 19 litre nano tank of his very own, with a filter and a heater. I've stocked it with plants, and now we just have to wait for it to cycle. I rinsed the filter in my existing tank, and filled the new tank half with water from the big one and half with water I'd already prepped for a water change, in the hope this might speed things up. Is there anything else I can do? Little boy Bluu is starting to come out of his shell and I'm terrified he'll decide he has to kill my guppies.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #19 
Laki

Adding water from your established tank might not do much in terms of speeding up a new cycle if its from a cycled tank (which means no ammonia is present). You might want to add a plant or decoration or even some filter media to help the BB colonize.

Bluu is a fantastic little boy. He'll soon change your whole world.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #20 
Pauline

Oh well, I suppose we'll just have to be patient. I've put several plants in and built a wee rock cave. Bluu has started eating but still seems a bit freaked out. Not as freaked out as me though. All day I've been jumping up every time a guppy waves its tail near him. Lol. Anyway I have to go to bed now and leave them all to it.

So my GBP 12.99 fish-in-a-vase has now cost nearly GBP 100! The perils of impulse buying!

I'm very grateful for all the advice I've had here.