Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #1 
Flapmon

Hole in fin, it's really bothering me.

So, my EE was bought a couple of days ago and even at the pet shop where he was purchased I noticed the hole on his ear. I keep watching it, it stays the same size from what I can tell. He's still an active fish but I'm worried it will get worse. Last night I did give in and put a few drops of malifax in his tank. I'll post photos if needed.
Flapmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #2 
VJM

Do you mean melafix? Melafix contains an ingredient that can coat the labyrinth organ on bettas, and is really not recommeded.

I would change the water to get rid of it, give him lots of warm and properly conditioned water, and watch it for infection/healing. Best thing you can do is keep his water pristine, so lots of testing and maybe increased water changes.

Fins take awhile to heal, so be patient. If you dark edges, you may need meds. If you have to do something, you can use aquarium salt. You have to dissolve it first, before pouring it in. I would start around 1 tsp. per gallon and go from there. Really, if it isn't growing and he seems lively and healthy, I would just make sure his water is great.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

The melafix needs to be removed as any medication with "fix" at the end contains tea tree oil which can coat the labyrinth organ and suffocate them. Clean warm water is all that's needed to help it heal along with time and patience. Make sure you keep up on water changes to prevent fin rot.

There is not much known about damage to pectoral fins because most fish's pectorals are small and move so quickly that they don't get damaged. However, one of my female EEs had damage to one of her pectorals that is slowly healing. Another member here has an EE male with damage to a pectoral fin that hasn't healed in two months. As long as the water is clean you need not worry - this will not cause harm unless fin rot develops and it won't if you keep the water clean.

You can try something like a double dose of stress coat or VitaChem to help the healing process. There's no reason to use medication unless you see fin rot, and if you do, I recommend you use Aquarium salt before trying medication.

Edit: I am slowww today!
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #4 
Flapmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
Do you mean melafix? Melafix contains an ingredient that can coat the labyrinth organ on bettas, and is really not recommeded.

I would change the water to get rid of it, give him lots of warm and properly conditioned water, and watch it for infection/healing. Best thing you can do is keep his water pristine, so lots of testing and maybe increased water changes.

Fins take awhile to heal, so be patient. If you dark edges, you may need meds. If you have to do something, you can use aquarium salt. You have to dissolve it first, before pouring it in. I would start around 1 tsp. per gallon and go from there. Really, if it isn't growing and he seems lively and healthy, I would just make sure his water is great.
Whoop, yes sorry I meant melafix, the only other time I've used it was when my CT had pop eye and it cleared it right up, we did daily changes of the water as it said.

Thing is though it's just a hole, it doesn't look unhealthy and it wasn't like the shop where we bought him wasn't looking after their fish, they had a drip function and they also used melafix. I'll be sure to purchase aquarium salt, I was about to buy it the other day so I have no idea what stopped me.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #5 
AyalaCookiejar

There's no rot, its not something to over-worry about at all. It may or may not heal, but I'd pick up some stress coat along with the AQ salt and see if you can find VitaChem as well.

Melafix can be dangerous so its just best to be on the safe side :)
Old 04-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #6 
Flapmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
There's no rot, its not something to over-worry about at all. It may or may not heal, but I'd pick up some stress coat along with the AQ salt and see if you can find VitaChem as well.

Melafix can be dangerous so its just best to be on the safe side :)

Thank you! My bad for being so paranoid.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #7 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapmon View Post
Thank you! My bad for being so paranoid.
Being paranoid can bea good thing. Its a good idea to make extra sure the water is clean. Fin rot is a bigger problem if the fins are already damaged. BUT, if you make sure the water has NO ammonia or nitrites, fin rot will not be an issue. Its a good idea to have a water test kit for this, preferably a liquid test kit as opposed to the strips.

Like I said, it may or may not heal but stress coat and/or VitaChem will help. For some reason, it seems pectoral fins heal differently from other fins.