Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #11 
justmel

The other shipment showed. The three females were DOA, but I consider myself lucky to say the male was feisty enough to flare at me while he was still in his shipping bag. He's acclimating now, once he's had a chance to calm down a bit I will try and get a couple pictures.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #12 
justmel

I'm happy to say our newest addition, Hades, is doing good. I put one of my ladies by him for awhile and that seemed to do the trick for him. All his color came back and he started flaring and flirting like crazy. I was only able to get a couple good pics before he calmed down. I also got a couple pictures of our other boys, Ra & Prometheus, who are still in QT trying to show off to each other.

Here is Hades, & Ra flaring at Prometheus
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #13 
justmel

Brad, my fiance, felt sorry for me yesterday I guess. Today we added 4 new females to the family (I really need these since my girls keep turning out boys and I am trying to fill a 29 gal sorority) and my mom brought her boy over. She's moving in next week, so I told her to bring him on over so I can get him in the rotation for tank changes.

Here's Ming & the 4 new ladies.
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #14 
justmel

Thumbs up Meet the bettas: Mr. Fish

Mr. Fish is the first betta I ever bought myself. Growing up we had 1 or 2 over time, and I've bought my daughter a few, but never one for myself. When I saw Mr. Fish I just had to have him. I thought he was unique and absolutely gorgeous, of course being here I've found he's not so unique, but I still think he's a very handsome fish.

He started his life with us in a 1.5 gallon (roughly) brandy sniffer, sitting here at my desk with me. He loved to play with me while I worked, or just swim around and watch me. He even seemed to come when I called him. He had quite a little personality and was fun. Being such a super special betta in my eyes I wanted to breed him and share his awesomeness with everyone.

That started the hunt for the right lady for Mr. Fish. Found a little VT female with a white body and pinkish fins, so we brought her home for Mr.Fish. (Gema came home with us too because I loved her coloring.) I put Gema and Little Lady Love in one of those tiny things made to house 2 bettas that holds maybe a quart of water. I forgot to put the lid back on one day and my Little Lady jumped.

I haven't found another perfect lady for Mr. Fish, but I'm not really looking anymore. I will likely still breed VT's as they are my favorite, but I'm going to work on breeding some giants and HMs first.

My love for Mr. Fish and wanting to breed him got me researching. Within 2 weeks he had a heater and filter for his little bowl. Now he is swimming all over a 10 gallon tank by himself. Eventually this tank will be divided 3 way, but for now he's king there.

Mr. Fish in his original home
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmel View Post
The other shipment showed. The three females were DOA, but I consider myself lucky to say the male was feisty enough to flare at me while he was still in his shipping bag. He's acclimating now, once he's had a chance to calm down a bit I will try and get a couple pictures.
I'm so sorry about your females.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #16 
justmel

Thank you drama, just a bad day for bettas and me. Hades, the male I got that day is still doing great. So is the rescues I got from MoonShadow yesterday.

Hades doesn't like to hold still for a picture, so it's a bit blurry, but you can see his colors here, & the second picture is my adopted rescue Patrick.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #17 
justmel

With my mom moving in this weekend it's very busy here. We have to combine my son's room with ours so my mom can have a bedroom. I also played musical tanks today.

Got my 29 gallopn tank for my sorority yesterday, but I don't have sand or anything to hold down plants, not enough plants anyway, and not enough females yet. SO I moved my 21 1 month old fry to the 29 gallon as a grow out tank, and added my 2 cory cats (Felix and Emmy). Cleaned out the fry's 10 gallon tank and moved Pan and the few guppies we have left upstairs to that tank. Cleaned out Pan's old 10 gallon downstairs and put the girls in there. Something is going on with my daughters 10 gallon and the water keeps getting cloudy no matter how well it's cleaned, so I removed Darling from that tank and put him in QT just in case he might have got sick in there, emptied that tank and cleaned it out. We've filled it back up and will see what happens. If it keeps getting cloudy we will clean it daily for awhile. No fish in there until we figure it out.

While cleaning the tanks I had to move furniture around so we could fit 3 10 gallon tanks & the 29 gallon tank in my bedroom as well. Moved the unwanted desk from my daughter room upstairs to my room, the new desk into her bedroom, my sons bed from his room to my closet, and I'm not sure what we are doing with all the boxes from his closet.

Had to break up a fight between two of my female bettas 3x, same pair, so they got put in time out boxes. All the others are picking on them now, coming up and flaring at the two trouble makers while they flip out because they can't reach the others. 1 was the previous alpha and the other fighter was the runner up last time the sorority was together. Going to have to watch them and make sure they can handle sorority life. The others are getting along fine.

To brighten my day I had Helios. My new betta, a yellow delta tail that is skinny as all get out, so watching him closely and feeding him several times a day. I shouldn't have brought him home, and I told myself no, it happen anyway. I told myself no bettas before leave the house, before going in the pet store, while looking at the bettas & made it out of the first store with just my 29 gallon & some frozen mysis shrimp. Of course we had to stop at a second pet store where I again said no more before going in, and while looking at the bettas, even when my daughter showed him to me. I made it all the way to the check out before I sent he back to grab him, I couldn't resist.

Here's Helios
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2013, 11:34 PM   #18 
dramaqueen
Banned

You took Patrick? I'm glad he got a good home. He's beautiful!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:28 AM   #19 
Elsewhere

Helios is such a beauty and has such an appropriate name :)
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:26 AM   #20 
justmel

Thank you Elsewhere. Helios just need a little time to fatten up & let his caudal heal. He's already doing both and is starting to show a very attentive & loving personality. He's always right there to say hi when I come in the room and follows me around whenever I am near his tank.

Yes DQ, Patrick found his forever home here. My fiance would have had a bit of an issue with his name because it's the same name as my ex, so I just made him my 3 year old sons fish. Jesse loves Sponge Bob & has already got 3 Sponge Bob figures added to my tank, so him have a Patrick is no problem. Of course is tank is in my bed room, next to my bed.