Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #391 
ANHEL123

Quote:
Originally Posted by puplove52 View Post
That's not true that bettas can't live on flake food. My betta eats Tetramin Tropical flakes and he's beautiful. My betta does great with a heat lamp, one gallon bowl, Flake food, and weekly water changes. This care info is overrated.
For one gallon bowl make sure you do 2-50% and 1-100% water changes. Or you can just do 2-100% water changes. Make sure you acclimate your betta to the new water temperature so you don't shock him with drastic temp change.
Acclimation: There are a few ways. I will just copy and post it for you from another thread:

He can have betta in the changing cup with about 15% of the water and keep adding small amount of the new water about every 5 min for about 5-6 times -this way you he will get used to the temperature:) Sorry i know there is a few more ways to acclimate .

There are many ways to do a water change and acclimate (reintroduce) your fish back into the tank. Here is one variation that's pretty simple:
Note the temperature of the water.

Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp. Be sure to add the correct amount of water conditioner.
Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min. (Study during this time. If he sits longer, it's OK.)
Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
Let his cup float for about 10 min. (Study during this time. If he sits longer, it's OK.)
If the cup starts to fill too much, remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
Repeat steps 5-7, until about an hour has passed. (If he sits longer because you're studying, that's OK.)
Gently release him into the tank.

Big water changes should have careful acclimation like this:

Quote:
To do a water change, use a little cup like a plastic solo cup - this cup must be only for him and have never been used with soap or other chems. Scoop him up in this cup (keep him in the cup about 1/4 full of water - it doesn't need to be much because he won't be in it for long) and leave him in the cup while you change his water. To do the 50% use a turkey baster - dedicated only to him that has never seen soap or chems - and drag it through the gravel and try to suck as much of the poop out as possible, in addition to 50% of the water. Use a thermometer under the running tap to get it to be the same temp as the water that is normally in his tank. When the thermometer says the flowing tap is the right temp, fill back up his tank. At this point, add the conditioner (dose for how much water you change - if you change half the water you add half gallon worth of conditioner, If you do a 100% water change dose for the full gallon change). Float his plastic cup with him in it in the new water. Slowly add a couple tablespoons of the new water into his cup every 10 minutes for at least an hour. Finally, dump him in gently but try to get as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. When you do the weekly 100% you will do mostly the same thing except empty his tank fully and rinse everything in it very well under warm water but never use soaps or chemicals. Once it's fully cleaned/rinsed you can refill it and repeat the cup/acclimate phase.

FOOD:

Flakes cause swim bladder issues more readily than most pellets. You should be using a high quality protein based pellet with the first two or three ingredients as whole fish not fishmeal or wheat. The flakes will also muck up his water quickly and if you're not running a cycled tank that means ammonia builds up much more quickly. Check out the most recommended pellets from my previous thread.

Also be aware that bettas are very good jumpers so if you don't have the lid for your tank always leave the space between the water level and top of the tank, the same when you change him cover the net, or the cup you lure him in.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #392 
chicklette

Yes, thank you Anhel.
I just found out that it isn't necessary to use vinegar every time I clean Jewel's tank, in fact, it couldtake away too much bbeneficial bacteria, so I think I'll just use plain old shower water, and use the vinegar to clean with once a month. I read about the salts in the beta diseases forum page before, but thanks for reminding me about them.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #393 
marie0827

Unhappy

Oh wow Iam really over feeding him. Thanks ANHEL123

Last edited by marie0827; 04-18-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #394 
puplove52

Matt's Bettas- I have a very healthy betta. Vibrant colors, never stops swimming (unless he is a sleep), and eats every bit of his food. The way I care for him is perfect. This thread is overrated.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #395 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

puplove52- The way you care for him is far from perfect. I have over a hundred bettas and years of experience, so I can tell you that you are taking improper care of him. Why you would not try to take the best care possible of your pets (that rely on you) I don't know. Lets see how long he lives under your care, shall we? And you spelled my name wrong.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:18 PM   #396 
LittleNemo

Hey All, we're totally new to this & realizing we might not be fully prepared! (Please be kind).

We just bought a Betta today for our three year old, he's currently in a ten gallon tank with no heater - the more I read online, the more I worry we're going to wake up to a fish that's gone belly up.

More about our Betta, we bought him at PetCo, he's a male double fin, he seemed pretty active in his little bowl he came in. We filled the tank with tap (well) water & checked the pH: 6.8, his bowl was 7.2. We put his bowl into the tank for 30min to acclimate him to the temp (tank was 82, no idea what his bowl was). Then we slowly transitioned his water, 25% tank water added to bowl, let sit for 30min, then 75% tank water added to bowl, let sit for 30min, then we set him free in the tank. He seemed to enjoy it, swam around the three plants we have in there and hid behind a coffee cup when he needed a break.

We have a thermometer on the outside of the tank and it reads 82, but I'm worried the water temp is going to drop dramatically overnight with no heater & kill our 'Little Nemo'

Any advice?
Old 04-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #397 
WaffleSire

LittleNemo, you're all good. If the thermometer reads 82, then you should be fine for now, because that's a good temperature. Try wrapping the tank up in a towel or something, and keeping it in the warmest room in the house, if you're worried it'll cool. You can get him a heater tomorrow. No betta will keel over and die if it doesn't have a heater for a few hours, at the most he'll be a bit lethargic, but a heater will fix that. Good luck! c:

Last edited by WaffleSire; 04-20-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:54 PM   #398 
ANHEL123

If you have temperature 82*- it gradually will dropped over night. I have it all the time in the summer. Because it gradual it fine. Do you have filter in the tank? Did you use water conditioner. It still good idea to add water conditioner even with well water.
I am going to give you the link about water changes. For 10 gall without filter do 50% weekly and 100% every 3 weeks. Vacuum the gravel with siphon. Rinse siphon with hot and then warm water and let it air dry so it not rotting inside .

When you feed take out uneaten food out so it don't sink to the bottom and contaminate the water.
Please read my acclimation instructions from above post. And also check my post about food post #390 of this thread.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=142066

Last edited by ANHEL123; 04-20-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #399 
LittleNemo

Thanks WaffleSire & Anhel123! I just went down to check on him & the water had dropped to 78, he was either sleeping or totally lethargic. I wrapped the sides of the tank with a big beach towel and he moved around a bit. I've become so attached to the little guy in these few hours of getting to know him, I hope he doesn't die :(
I do not have a filter, thanks for the link & other tips.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:45 AM   #400 
ANHEL123

Hey how he doing. He can not be lethargic because of the temperature. 76 is perfect temperature so 78* is fine. I will give you link about temperature later so you have idea. He might be sleeping or something went wrong. How he doing? Did you buy water conditioner? I would put water conditioner in his water. And if you don't have it i would buy Prime by Seachem it the best. If you can't find buy stress coat Api. Give us update. If it something wrong i would make new thread so more people can see your thread and help.
Closed Thread