Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2013, 11:28 PM   #11 
SunshineSulie

Wow, thanks so much, guys. That was some great reasons... I think I'll look into joining after the summer. :) I'm hoping I can find some Indiana enthusiasts at least. :)
Posted via Mobile Device
SunshineSulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:56 PM   #12 
homegrown terror

is the membership fee yearly or monthly, it didn't specify on the website (anywhere i saw, at least)
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:06 AM   #13 
EvilVOG

yearly fee.

Indiana has a healthy group i believe. I know there was a show last year and there's one next month there.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:53 PM   #14 
Basement Bettas

So far you get Flare! every other month. I am now part of a great committee putting this magazine together, and we are going to take this e-zine to new heights. The issue due any day is the election one. Being a member or joining now, you will get to read all the candidate platforms. And yes, I am running for the office of president.. be a good chance to get to know me better and some ideas I have to make the IBC more like a big family.

In the works are issues dedicated to showing, breeding, some of our favorite Thai breeders [interviews and farm tours!], and even [gasp!] the Veil tail. We are looking into asking manufactures for product into and coupons. And we will be adding some nice and unique regular columns. For the $20 individual/$22 family price, the magazine alone will be worth the price.

The IBC has a store and you get a discount there if a member and they often have specials.

The TA Library is free to members. This library goes back decades with articles written at every level for many interests. I am now the Chair of getting them organized and all online. Some of the genetic articles are again, worth the price of membership.

I am hoping to also have a mentoring program for serious breeders finally formalized. Teach them, help them be successful in the shows, if interested get them to be judges.. then to be mentors. Receive then give back.

Going to be a push to get more people involved at local levels. Don't want to show? Fine. Still cool to hang out with other people that share your passion. Can swap plants, pick up breeder culls and get to maybe attend and help at a show.

There is a forum that is also growing and it is real cool to have the experience of so many breeders. Like I tell people here.. I have more fish in my house on any day then most will ever have in their life. I have been doing this 4 years.. but others have been doing it over 10 years. Hard to experience something they have not.

And just supporting the organization that promotes something you enjoy is also wort it. not only do I think you get a lot, but you have an opportunity to take your skills and gifts and use them to also promote your hobby by getting involved.

So yes.. it is worth it.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:01 AM   #15 
Otterfun

I just became a member, so how do I join a local chapter? I am in s. ca.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:21 AM   #16 
EvilVOG

look up the chapters on the IBC website, but I do know there's a Statewide group, the California Betta Society (CBS) that hosts shows and stuff. Great group of people.
http://www.cbsbettas.org/
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:38 AM   #17 
Basement Bettas

CA has a LOT of betta activity. Karens FB group is a good place to start too..
Old 04-18-2013, 01:33 AM   #18 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Bettas View Post
CA has a LOT of betta activity. Karens FB group is a good place to start too..
Sorry, do you have a link or more info about Karen? I am not familiar with Karen and her last name or group info.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:14 AM   #19 
ZubinBetta

Worth it but not directly to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Bettas View Post

And just supporting the organization that promotes something you enjoy is also wort it. not only do I think you get a lot, but you have an opportunity to take your skills and gifts and use them to also promote your hobby by getting involved.

So yes.. it is worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilVOG View Post
One more thing to note is that for most of us that breed in this country, most of the fish we breed and sell are for breeding, for the show circuit. The IBC is the show circuit.

So basically there is some stuff you get. but mostly you're ensuring the hobby and it's growth, which has it's own rewards down the road.
I joined IBC last June and found it frustrating to try to navigate their information system, and I thought the placement of the decoy forum that nobody was using was at best baffling. I had thought "to learn more about bettas," but all I could find were discussions of regulations and what appeared to be a series of loosely connected email-type communications, many of which pertained to the most recent show. I thought I could search a show schedule to see if anything was happening where I live, but nothing was listed for my region or even really my nation, though I have learned subsequently about an upcoming show (May 11) in Long Beach, run by a local betta society and sanctioned by IBC.

So when Basement Bettas and EvilVOG remark that in supporting the IBC I am supporting the main support in the universe for the hobby I enjoy, I have to chuckle a little bit, because they really do have a point. Without IBC, the hobby I love would not have much structure or much by way of goals. And active members of IBC have certainly received emolument from my membership fee, among others. But I don't think the Congress provides much of a welcome to non-insiders like myself who wish to "take their hobby to the next level" without necessarily ever wanting to breed bettas or show them. What would that require? It strikes me the IBC is an established network that functions to the advantage of those who have penetrated its precincts (those who breed and show bettas, and who need to be a part of that system in order to advance), but in offering membership for money, the IBC can't offer an entré to that network, or if it can offer an opening, that opening does not lead very far. I think the IBC directors should think through what they do have to offer neophyte inductees and make that first step worth it, and then new members can find their way in the organization with some prior incentive. As it is, if you are willing to "make the most of your membership" by networking, then you will be given a place at the table. Maybe societies are just like this, but it strikes me that something important is missing from this welcoming committee.
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:33 AM   #20 
Basement Bettas

There are some definite things needing changed on the site and the info provided. It is a thorn in my side having stuff every where. Whether elected president or not, I am involved and using my organizational skills to make it different. If things play out as I desire.. that site will be much different very soon too. If you check out the site I am a co-founder on, you will see I am much more into slick and simple. So yes.. I feel your pain and it is my priority to have taken care of as soon as possible. I could have thrown up my hands and just walked away.. but I am using my talents to make things better going forward. It is a huge project to lay out and implement.. a web site like the IBC. Not every one is capable of handling it. Besides myself there are a few others with incredible skills in web design and project management. That site will be fixed. If you are still currently a member.. please take the time to read the next issue of Flare! and vote. Your voice will make a difference.

Last edited by Basement Bettas; 04-18-2013 at 02:47 AM.