Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #1 
Nicci Lu

Help With Idea for a Betta Cave

I just got a new betta last night. Yay! He's floating in a QT container right now because the poor guy has mild fin rot and I want to get that fixed before I introduce him to the tank.

In the meantime, my black kuhli loaches have pretty much claimed all the caves for their own. I'd like to make my as-yet-unnamed HM a cave of his own that only he will use and that will go nicely with my NPT 'style'. My idea was to take some plastic canvas, affix java moss to it with netting over the canvas, roll it up and suction cup it to the glass. Then I realized that the moss on the bottom of the cave won't get any light and will die a messy death.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to make the bottom of the cave look nice? I really don't want ugly plastic to be showing through.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #2 
jesssan2442

if you could find green plastic then it wouldn't be as bad as any other color or you could find a realistic looking fake plant and tie it around the bottom and have the moss on the top of the cave
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #3 
sareena79

I got one of these at walmart...the opening on mine is a little bigger. its neat tho cuz after its been under the lights it glows a gentle green for a few hours. I like it cuz it has a natural look to it and seems cozy. I cant find the link for it on walmart.com but heres a link to one on amazon. dont know why is says 6pk cuz its only one cave but like I said u can prob find it in-store at walmart for this price or better
http://www.amazon.com/Moon-Rock-Cave...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #4 
NozzALa

I have one of those for my Betta as well. He doesn't go in it often, but every now and then I'll spy his head poking out as he just floats in there for a few minutes.

I think for my next Betta I'll try one of those small plant pots that I see on here all the time, which is another idea, OP.
NozzALa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #5 
sareena79

Quote:
Originally Posted by NozzALa View Post
I have one of those for my Betta as well. He doesn't go in it often, but every now and then I'll spy his head poking out as he just floats in there for a few minutes.

I think for my next Betta I'll try one of those small plant pots that I see on here all the time, which is another idea, OP.
yeah I was thinking of trying the terra cotta pots as well if mine doesnt like this cave. Im still waiting for my fish to get here....

here's my tank :)

and here's my fish..Ima name him Chumlee I think hehehe

here's the fish my buddy is getting in the same shipment. we got BOTH for a total of $38 including shipping!

Last edited by sareena79; 04-17-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

What about a free floating cave?

On another thread, RowdyBetta (another forum user) posted a picture of floating plastic mesh tubes that she'd made. I made my own, and all four of my guys love them.
  • Get plastic craft mesh ($0.59 at Michael's).
  • Cut a piece, then trim off any sharp edges.
  • Roll it into a tube, and stitch it closed with either monofilament (fishing line) or thread.
  • Spray paint it green with Krylon spray paint.
  • Then, tie bits of Java Moss to it.
As the fish swims in/out of it, the tube tends to move in the water. This will allow it to turn slightly, which will expose the moss to the light. (Or, you could always just turn it yourself.)

The green tube at the top of his tank is the one that I spray painted. (Yes, he's about to swim into it!) I put another (white) one outside the tank, so you can see what it looks like before it's painted.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 04-17-2013 at 08:57 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #7 
Blue Fish

You can also use plastic tumblers (short, squat plastic cups), these are avail in a very wide array of colors, and you can get them at walmart, grocery stores, even Dollar General. :)

I've also heard that you can use the fake moss that's made for terrariums in betta tanks. You'd just glue that on in the same way that you'd smoosh on the real moss, but you wouldn't have to worry about the light. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:43 PM   #8 
jadaBlu

I am seconding a free floating cave since many bettas often spend time at the surface he may not compete with the other fish there. You could just get a betta log.
If you like the craft mesh. They do have craft mesh in colors so you don't have to buy any paint. If you use craft mesh be sure the ends are smooth so he doesn't scratch him self or tear fins. Sand paper or a nail file could help with that.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:08 AM   #9 
SamJustice

I've three of the glow caves. Raph loves his to no end. He's always in it, or on it. I've tons of pictures of him stickin his head out like "My House."
Rev loved his, too, before he passed..

I'd say build a multi-level one out of rocks and silicone adhesive. but.. I'm just crafty like that and love doing stuff like that. lol
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:11 AM   #10 
sareena79

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamJustice View Post
I've three of the glow caves. Raph loves his to no end. He's always in it, or on it. I've tons of pictures of him stickin his head out like "My House."
Rev loved his, too, before he passed..

I'd say build a multi-level one out of rocks and silicone adhesive. but.. I'm just crafty like that and love doing stuff like that. lol
hope my boy likes his :) guess we will find out tomorrow when he FINALLY gets here!!