Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #1 
paris38

Good Setup?

Hi guys, a while back I started a NPT tank with a soil base and a sand cap.Well it didn't go so well.(I made another thread on that called "help")Anyway I want to try again but this time I don't really want to use the soil because it got all on top of my sand and looked really bad.Here are some setups I was thinking might work.

1.gravel substrate with root tabs

2.flora max substrate with sand cap

3.just sand,I'm not sure if this would work

I really like the look of clean substrate and so I'm willing for suggestions.Also, would it be helpful to add a diy co2 system?
paris38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

They will all work well. I don't really recommend root tabs with gravel unless your substrate is really deep. and to be honest most aqarium plants take nutrients from the water column and does not need root fertilisation.

Againt you cant cap floramx with sand... the sand wil settle to the bottom... so you will have a sand capped with floramax. lol
is there a reason you want sand on top? floramax works by itself, you don't need to cap it.

Sand alone works well too. I like pool filter sand, make sure you really hose it down a few times in a bucket before putting it in your tank~

A DIY CO2 system is always helpful to plants, but not necessary ^_^
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:34 PM   #3 
paris38

Thanks, aokashi!I wanted to do the sand cap because I really like the look of sand but I see how it would not work.I think I'll go with just sand and maybe add co2 later on.Would I have to add lquid ferts to the tank to help the plants grow if I'm not using soil?I think adding them caused my vallisenra to melt though.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:36 PM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

fertilisers wont cause plants to melt, however a co2 additive like excel might cause melt...
I cannot tell you whether fertilisation is neccessary, but it is certainly beneficial to plant growth. I would recommend seachem flourish comprehensive ^_^

sand will grow plants just fine
Old 04-15-2013, 11:38 PM   #5 
paris38

Okay I think that is the fertilizer I have.It must have been something else that caused them to melt.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:40 PM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

the seachem line of plant products is pretty confusing
seachem flourish is a fertiliser
seachen flourish excel is a CO2 additive. lol|
Old 04-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #7 
Wildbetta

I use play sand for my tanks. I have no issues with my plants. I use liquid ferts for my stem plants and root ferts for my swords and crypts. I don't use CO2 and my plants do great. I do not try to grow plants that are above my lighting though or ones that require CO2 to really look and grow good. Anyone you buy plants from(except the fishstores) should be able to tell you if the plants require anything special as far as lighting or CO2.
Wildbetta is offline   Reply With Quote