Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2013, 02:35 AM   #21 
Basement Bettas

For Karens group, you have to be added. Send me an email so I have your email to send you an invitation..

Send to: my user name, no space at msn dot com
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:40 AM   #22 
Basement Bettas

And you are right about right now not being much use unless showing. I have heard that more than once and have some ideas to change that. I would be interested in hearing what would be of value to you. Send me an email please.. tell me what you expected, what you got.. like, dislike. What you would actually want for your membership. We are going to be making changes.. especially if I am elected, as I feel we need to offer more to those who do not and dont ever want to show. Any body else want to send me an opinion.. also please feel free to send me mail.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:48 AM   #23 
Artemis

For 14 dollars for a Junior E-Edition thing I was thinking of joining but what's there about a hidden forum? I thought you had a list of articles you could browse through also.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #24 
EvilVOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZubinBetta View Post
I joined IBC last June and found it frustrating to try to navigate their information system, and I thought the placement of the decoy forum that nobody was using was at best baffling. I had thought "to learn more about bettas," but all I could find were discussions of regulations and what appeared to be a series of loosely connected email-type communications, many of which pertained to the most recent show. I thought I could search a show schedule to see if anything was happening where I live, but nothing was listed for my region or even really my nation, though I have learned subsequently about an upcoming show (May 11) in Long Beach, run by a local betta society and sanctioned by IBC.

So when Basement Bettas and EvilVOG remark that in supporting the IBC I am supporting the main support in the universe for the hobby I enjoy, I have to chuckle a little bit, because they really do have a point. Without IBC, the hobby I love would not have much structure or much by way of goals. And active members of IBC have certainly received emolument from my membership fee, among others. But I don't think the Congress provides much of a welcome to non-insiders like myself who wish to "take their hobby to the next level" without necessarily ever wanting to breed bettas or show them. What would that require? It strikes me the IBC is an established network that functions to the advantage of those who have penetrated its precincts (those who breed and show bettas, and who need to be a part of that system in order to advance), but in offering membership for money, the IBC can't offer an entré to that network, or if it can offer an opening, that opening does not lead very far. I think the IBC directors should think through what they do have to offer neophyte inductees and make that first step worth it, and then new members can find their way in the organization with some prior incentive. As it is, if you are willing to "make the most of your membership" by networking, then you will be given a place at the table. Maybe societies are just like this, but it strikes me that something important is missing from this welcoming committee.
Definitely there are some problems there, and they are being worked on, but it's a process. The IBC dates to long before the internet, and it's online resource organization dates back almost as far. Part of the problem is getting the membership to try something new, but it will take time as many have been using it in it's current configuration for 15 years now. People are always resistant to change, and alot of them just aren't computer people to begin with.

Remember to make your voice heard in the form of asking questions. I've been in a little over a year and have, in part, led to two major policy changes.

Also the website has been in a state of flux for at least six months now trying to make everything more user-friendly. It's getting there.

Artemis: it's not really hidden anymore, but there are essentially two spots, the yahoo group with all the archived articles, and a forum on the website that much of the membership has yet to embrace, but it is fairly new.

Last edited by EvilVOG; 04-18-2013 at 10:21 AM.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #25 
Artemis

Oh okay. SO would it be worth it or would money be better spent on an AB betta?
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #26 
Otterfun

thanks, website was too confusing to navigate. it would be nice to have more defined categories for discussion and info lookup.

BTW, the shopping experience was challenging, cannot put things in the shopping cart. so i ended up not buying anything.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #27 
Basement Bettas

The forum has a general subject area that is open to all. But there is also a private area for more in depth discussion of genetics and other subject matters. So you can join the forum as a non ibc member.

And I am taking notes on the issues ya'll are having and I agree 110%. Things are not working on the site as envisioned.. and we are about at a point of doing something else. Again.. feel free to send me direct emails on concerns. They will be passed along for the right people to see.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #28 
Otterfun

PM sent with my email info, thanks.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #29 
EvilVOG

Store should be down right now, the person that handles that had some personal business to take care of. I couldn't even look at the offerings.

I think the money is better spent on the membership than on one fish personally. But that's your choice to make. A greater understanding of what you have, and a contribution toward something you might want down the line, or the fish you want right now.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #30 
Basement Bettas

There has been a death in the family of the shop keeper. so expected down a few days to take care of that.