After attending a Luau with my husband and roommates (another married couple), our house has been fish/betta crazy.
Friday April 12:
- Both couples get one "center piece betta" to take home from Luau
- I put mine in a temporary pickle jar till we can get a adequate tank
- Roommates leave theirs in cup and feed bread crumbs
Saturday April 13:
- Husband and I go to Petco to look for a betta for him
- End up getting two 2.5 gallon tanks and accessories
- Come home, roommates see our commitment, offer us their betta, claims it'll only die
- Get bettas established, all is well in the kingdom (except a little jealousy on the pitbulls part ^_^)
Sunday April 14:
- I go to work for 6 hours
- Come home, roommates bought 10 gallon tank
- 3 sharks, 3 adult MALE bettas, and 1 oscar
- My rage begins, predicts half--if not all--fish will be dead in one week
Monday April 15:
- All sharks are dead, Oscar extremely wounded
- Girl roommate assumes it's only because of her water condition
- Wake up.
Tuesday April 16:
- Oscar laying on bottom of the tank, barely breathing
- Oscar has scar tissue on both eyes and fins completely torn
- Betta One can only use right fin, floats to top, struggles against current of filter, extremely terrorized by Betta Two
Wednesday April 17:
- Getting ready for work, roommate informs me Oscar and Betta One has died
Thursday April 18:
- Betta Two has passed, his beautiful fins completely gone
- Out of seven BEAUTIFUL fish, Betta Three (King Betta) last one standing
When I came home to find these beautiful creatures being completely abused like this made me SO mad I was shaking and attempting not to throw stuff around the room.
Ignored my roommates out of fear I would blow up at them for the next.. well, until last night. Still they lack my respect. All the people at Petco were telling them not to do this or that and giving them tips on what NOT to house together. They refused to listen. When I was looking at the tank last nigh with the girl she still thinks it's only the water condition that's killing off her fish. She says that once her tank is cycled (which she thought that leaving the filter in there for about a week would cycle the tank) she's going to get more sharks and Oscars again and perhaps another betta.
The only thing that is keeping me from going completely crazy on them about their cruel conditions is that we have to live together for another two months. I'm trying to keep the peace, but I can't stand this. I refused to look at their tank and only look at it when no one is home to check on the fish.
Only reason they have the tank? The girls parents pay for everything which leaves them with excess cash, so basically JUST BECAUSE THEY COULD.
Here's an image of their tank the day they got it:
Here's what she said:
"Got 3 Betta fish, 1 Oscar fish and 3 sharks in the same tank! Lol breaking all the fish rules. #fish #betta #oscar #shark #petco #territorialfish #battle #fishtank"
Then the next day (when all three sharks died) this is what she posted after someone asked her if she was afraid they'd fight and all die:
" lol i woke up this morning and theyre still fine. oh well i will just buy more fish. theyre infinite!!!"
1. "I woke up this morning and they're still fine" (lie)
2. "Oh well I will just buy more fish. They're inifinite!!!" Wow.
This isn't some ignorant mistake, but a conscious one that resulted in the deaths and cruelty of beautiful fish.
Sorry for the rant, but I can't believe what just happened in the last four days. SMH