Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #1 
Kithy

Split 10g, advice

I made a divider today for my 10g because Bartholomew deserves a bigger tank :< (I will miss having him on my desk though).

Any advice for how to add the 2nd betta in? Letting the first betta check out his new half of the tank and testing to see if he can get on the other side or not yet.

I know the left side is a lot bigger but I was having a hard time getting it any more even than that. I am thinking of moving the whole tank/stand into a different room so I may fix it a bit more (I just see it as punishment to Alacrity for killing my favorite snail D: )
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #2 
Kithy

For now I have the new betta floating in a cup to warm up (there is a temp difference from his tank) with the light off. Going to add the water from the 10 g to the small cup teaspoon by teaspoon over a few hours.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #3 
Melodica

That looks like plenty of space for your other fish. I actually have my 10g tanks divided into three sections and it seems to be plenty of space for my boys. I just watched carefully for the first few days to make sure they couldn't get out of their section. They are pretty strong little buggers when they see each other! Speaking of - Is the divider something they can see each other through? It looks opaque from that angle, but I can't tell for sure.

I would just acclimate as you usually would - floating and adding small amounts of the water over time.

It looks like a great setup! Your fish are very lucky!
Melodica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:29 AM   #4 
Kithy

So far so good ^^

I was sooo worried after putting Bartholomew in that something would happen even though the divider goes up to the light nearly. I kept looking every five minutes and would rush over there if I couldn't see one of them.

I think I'm going to get another small silk plant to do on the left side.

I know that Alacrity can see through it but Bartholomew doesn't seem to care or doesn't notice Alacrity on the other side oO It's kind of funny. Alacrity gets all big and bad at the divider and Bartholomew just swims off like "meh, whatever!".

I kind of enjoy this more ^^ I'm worried about water changes though. I think I may take one fish out just incase the divider slips or something.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #5 
Melodica

I have nine boys in three tanks and there are only two that flare at each other. It's so funny because they start to wiggle and swim along the divider all puffed up.

In regards to water changes - I haven't really had issues with mine slipping. If I'm pouring water in from a bucket or cup, I just make sure to aim away from the dividers. Recently my fiance cut little notches in the liner of the tank that the dividers can fit in and I think we're going to use some aquarium sealant to secure binders to the bottom. I figure that will help secure the dividers and it can be covered with substrate if I ever wanted to use the tank undivided in the future.

Your setup looks really nice! I'm glad it worked out!
Melodica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #6 
bannlow2471

This looks great!
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #7 
Kithy

I did a change today and took Alacrity out just to be sure it didn't slip and all went fine ^^ So I'm glad. I think when I upgrade to a 20g long I'll probably split it 3 or 4 ways and use sealant to make it stay.

Thank you ^^; I'm really happy with how it turned out! I'm not really a fan of Spongebob but my son is so *sigh* What can you do?