Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2013, 11:53 PM   #11 
valen1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeAngel View Post
I live in the mountains here in Pennsylvania, grew up about 40 miles from where I live now. Falls are really awesome in the new england states :D I really missed the color changing when I lived in latin america. My tropical husband, funny enough, says he prefers our winters and loooves the snow and enjoys the cold. Weird guy, hahaha. I absolutely love the spring, as I barricade myself in the house during the rest of the year, hehehe
You live in the mountains? Like... there's only mountains everywhere around you? If so, that's pretty cool!

haha yep having lived in the tropics all my life I can say that I'm happy of not having to deal with snow but I'm sure the first time I get to see snow is going to epic I also like the idea of going camping in one of those states but I've never been camping before and frankly it seems a tiny bit scary.
valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:21 AM   #12 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by valen1014 View Post
You live in the mountains? Like... there's only mountains everywhere around you? If so, that's pretty cool!

haha yep having lived in the tropics all my life I can say that I'm happy of not having to deal with snow but I'm sure the first time I get to see snow is going to epic I also like the idea of going camping in one of those states but I've never been camping before and frankly it seems a tiny bit scary.
Yeah, we're in the pocono mountains. Technically, we're in a valley surrounded by mountains (where I grew up about 40 miles from here was really in the mountains). So everywhere you look (and drive, for a couple of hours at least) there are mountains.

Though... the poconos are some of the oldest mountains in the country, so even though they're called mountains, we joke that they're more like hills They roll more than poke and point. But I'm used to this, and even when I lived in Guatemala it was all mountains (even though THOSE are more pointy than these, it was nearly the same feeling). You can imagine then, that my biggest culture shock was going to visit my friend in Texas a few years ago.... and.... we had a 4 hour long FLAT and STRAIGHT drive! I was in aw that such a road even existed in the world, lol.

2 times when I was living abroad there were freak hail storms, and 1 time my husband called me from work to look at the volcano (we lived at the feet of a dormant/dead volcano) because snow had capped it. And that was the first time I saw snow in 4 years. But... there is a place there higher in elevatin called San Marcos that has had snowfalls a couple of times this decade, and people travel from all over the country to see what it's like

Oh yeah, imagine camping as a little girl with your grandparents... and you're sharing a tent with your cousin... who wakes you up because there is a bear outside growling, and what does she do? SHOVES you outside the tent to go check it out

In the end it was my grandfather SNORING, hahahaha... but still..... she was pretty quick to feed me to the bear! hahahaha
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #13 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Lmao my older cousin would do that to me too but she would peek her head out to see if it really was anything and then her brother would be chasing down the bear (if there ever was one)

Lol, here in Rhode Island we only have rolling hills, the highest elevation is on the border of Connecticut, but that's because almost 75% of Rhode Island is coast line anyway! At least we're famed for our beaches and very rich beach houses! But yeah, I'm always amazed when we go up to New Hampshire and see mountains and not just slight rolling hills.

Then again, sometimes we think we have the biggest hill at my college, University of Rhode Island. WHY ARE ALL COLLEGE CAMPUSES ON HILLS?!?! lol at least we all get our daily workouts.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #14 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Lmao my older cousin would do that to me too but she would peek her head out to see if it really was anything and then her brother would be chasing down the bear (if there ever was one)

Lol, here in Rhode Island we only have rolling hills, the highest elevation is on the border of Connecticut, but that's because almost 75% of Rhode Island is coast line anyway! At least we're famed for our beaches and very rich beach houses! But yeah, I'm always amazed when we go up to New Hampshire and see mountains and not just slight rolling hills.

Then again, sometimes we think we have the biggest hill at my college, University of Rhode Island. WHY ARE ALL COLLEGE CAMPUSES ON HILLS?!?! lol at least we all get our daily workouts.
Gotta love cousins Her reasoning was "you're the older one" my defense was "only a few months! and you're bigger anyway!" hahaha

We're known for our ski slopes, and where I grew up for the lake (Lake Wallenpaupack). Being in the mountains is a pain in the rear end during the winter. My mother has had to stay here a couple of times because she works nearby and the roads to her house (25 miles from here) are steep and impossible to go up during a hard storm. I can't count how many times we slid off the roads in bad weather. Most recently I went to visit my friend the winter before last, and had a really fun time trying to make it up the one road (I do not have 4 wheel drive). But you become quite skilled in finding traction and fish tailing when the roads are like this, lol.

But yeah, daily workout is great... I need to get out and walking again now that it has started to warm up!
Old 04-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #15 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ugg, even though we don't have mountains, our hills are still ridiculous to get up during the winter! I live at the bottom of a steep (but short) hill and my little standard truck barely makes it up half the time if there's snow/ice!

Oh by the way Lake Wallenpaupack is an awesome name! Reminds me of all our Indian named stuff here like Misquamicut, Apponaug, Wecapaug, Passamaquoddy, Quinnipiac, Wampanoag and then the famous Narragansett and Pequot lol Got to love it
Old 04-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #16 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Ugg, even though we don't have mountains, our hills are still ridiculous to get up during the winter! I live at the bottom of a steep (but short) hill and my little standard truck barely makes it up half the time if there's snow/ice!

Oh by the way Lake Wallenpaupack is an awesome name! Reminds me of all our Indian named stuff here like Misquamicut, Apponaug, Wecapaug, Passamaquoddy, Quinnipiac, Wampanoag and then the famous Narragansett and Pequot lol Got to love it
Would make sense as it is native american

It's a Lenni Lenape word that means "stream of swift and slow waters". Wallenpaupack was originally a river/stream/brooke or whatever it was (no idea how big it was) that was flooded by PP&L to make the lake we have now :)

It was once the biggest man made lake in the country with 52 miles of shoreline, so it became quite famous in it's youth, and between the lake and the ski slopes there are a lot of vacation homes around it. I guess it's the perfect set up.... you have the lake in the summer, and the ski slopes in the winter (mind you, I grew up around them and have never in my life skiid or snow boarded or anything )
Old 04-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #17 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Nice! I really like name origins and stuff like that. That's a huge lake lol! Annnd of course being a Rhode Islander, when I see anything bigger than about 250 feet across I categorize it as a lake XD I guess our ponds are just puddles then haha

It's okay, if it makes you feel better, Rhode Island is usually known for it's seafood right? (well those who even know what rhode island is and don't think it's part of Long Island ><) well I'm allergic to seafood lol, so many people are like "how can you be allergic to seafood when you live in RI?!" it's rather amusing though. I snowboarded once, got a bruise and never did it again lol
Old 04-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #18 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Nice! I really like name origins and stuff like that. That's a huge lake lol! Annnd of course being a Rhode Islander, when I see anything bigger than about 250 feet across I categorize it as a lake XD I guess our ponds are just puddles then haha

It's okay, if it makes you feel better, Rhode Island is usually known for it's seafood right? (well those who even know what rhode island is and don't think it's part of Long Island ><) well I'm allergic to seafood lol, so many people are like "how can you be allergic to seafood when you live in RI?!" it's rather amusing though. I snowboarded once, got a bruise and never did it again lol
My aunt lives in Rhode island, but I'm not sure if I ever went there ? I might have when I was younger. My husband has the same issue, as he is latino and haaaaates spicy foods. People are always "how can you NOT like spicy foods? Don't you eat chilly on everything there!?" (well, it's true that chiltepe, a very hot pepper, is offered almost everywhere there, it's mostly offered on the side and not cooked in)

Better for me, I hate spicy things, and neither of us eat seafood either (ok... now I'm starting to sound picky, hahaha)

The reason I never wanted to try to ski or snowboard is because almost everyone I knew did... and most of them had gotten one severe injury or another while doing it. I never have broken a bone, and I plan to keep it that way!!! but my husband keeps whining that he wants to snow board. So I have been trying to find a friend that will take him, because I sure as heck don't want to.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:34 PM   #19 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Lol don't worry you don't sound picky at all! I'm definitely a picky eater whether I know it or not sometimes. Half of it is because I'm allergic or intolerant and the other half is because I just don't like it XD

Yeah, I broke my wrist Ice Skating so I'll never do that again, I like to sled in the snow but that's all. It's pretty when you can stay inside and drink a hot chocolate/tea/coffee :)