Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2013, 12:06 AM   #1 
jadaBlu

Gluing acrylic to glass

Have you successful done this and had it hold water? If so what adhesive did you use?

I have some nice thick plexiglass it's already frosted and nearly already the right size. I would like to use it for tank dividers but I gathers it's hard to keep glued down with silicone. I have seen reccomendations of a product called Weld-on 40 on saltwater forums. I guess they make pumps and other equipment for thier tanks from acrylic and have to glue them down.

I do have glass from an old patio door it's just going to be more trouble. I am wanting the dividers to be watertight. I know about craft dividers they will be my plan B. I'd prefer the fish not share tank water. Plus the cost is cheaper for me. I have enough of everything already.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #2 
Jodah

If you want them to be watertight (which I personally wouldn't do) you would be better off taking measurements and having glass cut. You can use silicone (aquarium safe or GE-1 I believe it was) to glue acrylic to the glass, but all it really does is sandwich the acrylic to the glass. It doesn't really bond it
Jodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #3 
VincentTH

Personally, I believe why go through all the trouble of a divided tank, if you don't want the water to flow through? Would 2 separate small tanks work better?
VincentTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #4 
jadaBlu

Not if you have as many fish as I do. I just prefer to reduce the chances of disease spread, my glass is frosted so they won't see each other other than perhaps a shadow, there's little chance they will get into each others tanks.
Aside from those reasons my husband wants my fish in one area and a reducion of tanks. It will also make for less running back forth for water changes.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #5 
Jodah

Then I would have to say glass is gonna be your best bet. Good news is you can use Krylon Fusion to make the glass opaque so your boys don't have flaring contests.
Jodah is offline   Reply With Quote