Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2013, 11:40 PM   #1 
faraiza9

Why is my Half Moon missing scales from his head?

I recently bought a gorgeous half moon betta from PetSmart about a week ago, i have him in a 5.5 gallon tank, i have several live plants in there, i had only one plastic one, but then i took it out because i started to notice that he was missing like.... scales on the top of his head. i also have this fake Log looking thing, with holes so that he can hide and sleep in to. but seems like... every other day its getting worse. i dont know if its because of the wood thing?! it looks very jagged, and sharp on some parts.. sometimes when i watch him, he just swims along the log. I HATE seeing the water cloudy i HATE IT I HATE IT IHATE IT!!!! why cant it ever stay crystal clear?! its okay, for the first day or so... but then, it seems to get a little cloudyish....
can someone please help me?! i also went to petsmart and they recomended me to buy this treatment for someting called hole in head but idont want to put it in unless i know for sure that he has it!?
Attached Images

faraiza9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:47 PM   #2 
HeroicPoison

It very well could be the log... if hes swimming along and hits it it could harm him... im not an expert at all but i would try taking it out and replacing it with something else and see if he gets better... he may need either epsom salt or AQ salt added to the tank to prevent infection but wait until someone who knows more replies... one thing you can do is buy stresscoat+ this will help him heal quicker :)
hope this is some what helpful, like i said wait for someone who knows a little more before treatment but take that log out
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:53 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

You got him from PETSMART? Really? I am so jealous! My Petsmart never gets fish like that. (I know because I go in there every week, just after that bettas arrive. LOL)

1)How long has your tank been set up? If it's new, things like the gravel could be the cause of the cloudiness.

2) In the 2nd picture, his fins look long and full. But in the new few pictures, it looks like his fins got shorter. Are they? Or is this just the camera angle?

3) If the decoration has sharp edges, can you take it out and replace it with something smoother or softer?

Also, could you fill this out, so we have some more info? Just leave blank anything you don't have answers for.

Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 04-18-2013 at 11:57 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:07 AM   #4 
faraiza9

thanks both of you! any info is great! its like my very first time ever raising a fish lol, but yeah i should probably take the log out.. i just did lol... and... well ive had this tank for about 3 weeks, i originally had 7 neon tetras, and 4 guppies, until i found out that the tank was to small, then i had to return them back, then i stayed with several neons, and thats when i introduced Blue, in the tank and he killed one neon, and ripped the other ones fin off.. so yeah.. ive also had a mystery snail, but idk if he killed it to.. i would bite his little anttena things.. so now its just him, but just about every time something would happen to a fish i would like do a partial water change, and clean the gravel.. ugh.. fish are a lot of wok!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 12:11 AM   #5 
faraiza9

sorry if im not responding correctly. but with the water.. is it bad that its that cloudy? i just wonder what it could be?
but this salt thing that a lot of people speak of...HOW do i do it?
where can buy it?
is it bad? what will it do?
Old 04-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #6 
HeroicPoison

Taking that log out is a good first step :) I feel everything that i put into any of my tanks to make sure my guys and gals cant get hurt.

In order to properly help its important that you fully answer this :)
We cant help unless we have all the info we need, so if you dont mind could you please go through LBFs reply and answer as much as you can (easiest way is to just copy whats below this and paste it and type in the answers) Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
1)How long has your tank been set up? If it's new, things like the gravel could be the cause of the cloudiness.

2) In the 2nd picture, his fins look long and full. But in the new few pictures, it looks like his fins got shorter. Are they? Or is this just the camera angle?

3) If the decoration has sharp edges, can you take it out and replace it with something smoother or softer?

Also, could you fill this out, so we have some more info? Just leave blank anything you don't have answers for.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #7 
faraiza9

Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets
1)How long has your tank been set up? If it's new, things like the gravel could be the cause of the cloudiness. its not that old, ive had the tank for about a month now, every other week i tend to add more plants or something. and move stuff around. but the rocks arent that new. when doing water change the water is clear.

its possibly the angle he was swimming kind of fast on the other pics. the first one i happened to catch him lounging around in the plants! =)
3) If the decoration has sharp edges, can you take it out and replace it with something smoother or softer? yeah ive already taken out the log, he would always spend his time swimming around it, and going in and out of the holes, and he would always swim up against it as well

Housing
What size is your tank? 5.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? around 74-76
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? @_@ no?
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? originaly 4 neon tetras, he killed one, and ripped anothers fin off, so i had someone adopt them. i have/had an ivory mystery snail.. but... it never comes out its shell, i think its dead, becusae it floats, but sometimes he'll come out.. but.. its just Blue (Half Moon Betta), and Gary (Ivory Mystery Snail)

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? its like little redish balls, i forgot the name of them... rep at the store recomended them to me becuase it has somthing that is good for bettas.. Protine? or.. something i forgot. ill update on that.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2ice a day, 3 balls in the morning, 3 balls in the evening.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? about once a week. i really cant stand the water cloudy ***I HATE IT!!!*** il do like a 25-50% water change. it would be clear.. but after a day or so.. it gets cloudy -___- so yeah.. 1ce or 2ice a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25.-50% depending on how dirty the water gets
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? dechloriniator, and some stress bacteria stuff, i forgot the name of it. it smells minty, and when the lid drys, it looks like salt! it like some liquid that helps the water. but thats it
API Stress zyme .thats the name of the bottle

Water Parameters:

nope

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?other than the scales missing nope, well sometimes the white parts or his fins would look a little pinkish, or like a redish color, but idk if its the lighting, or the angles..
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he is still very active, and happy, same since i brought him! =)
When did you start noticing the symptoms? scales started coming off about 3-4 days after i had him in my tank
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? nope,
Does your fish have any history of being ill? not that i know of? i just brought him. so idk
How old is your fish (approximately)? idk? as far as me raising him...about 2 weeks

Tags
betta, hole in the head, missing, scales, scales missing