Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2013, 12:57 AM   #1 
wish4coner

Hello everyone! My name is Kelly and I am originally from Massachusetts. I currently live an Kansas and have begun my love of aquariums again. I have two male HM Bettas, and 3 HM females, as of right now. I am attempting to breed, and need all the encouragement/advice I can get.

I have had fish for years-everything from FW, to Brackish, African Cichlids and even Salt for a while. I had fallen in love with Bettas, many years ago but, was always taught that we couldn't breed them. Well, I discovered Ebay, found two beautiful males (one is all mustard, and other is white, with pinkish at end of fins). I have been buying tanks and supplies ever since. I also have a Mbuna tank of cichlids and just starting back to caring for them as well.

I stupidly have gone to youtube, and made a lot of errors. Thankfully, I haven't lost a betta fish but, I did lose my first batch of fry. But, I am being positive because, I did breed, the eggs were laid--but the youtube "expert" told me to take dad out too--that he would eat the fish. Sadly, by doing so, my bubble nest broke and I only had eggs that did not hatch. Live and learn--I am getting read to do it again shorty. I am setting my water up now, with the black water extract, my almond leaf and a good heater.

Anyway, I wanted to introduce myself. If nothing else, I have found I love doing this and really enjoy the hobby itself. If I successfully breed, all the better. Either way, I am having a ball just taking care of 4 tanks and all these fish :)
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:45 AM   #2 
Jayloo

Welcome. Read the stickies. Loaded with info. Also ask around for reputable websites on breeding and rearing fry. I won't claim to be an expert but if you ever want personal insight, send me a PM. I also believe many other breeders wouldn't mind a message. Good luck!
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #3 
Myates

Welcome! It took me a couple months to figure things out and what works best for my fish. Ended up going the complete opposite of what most American breeders do - but it's been very successful. So find what works best for you, take everything with a grain of salt, ask lots of questions and most importantly, have lots of patience and fun.. it will pay off for you :) Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote