Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #21 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
My DHG all turned yellow in my tank! Is it because I didn't separate it enough and kind of stuck it in the sand in a few big bunches? There is like one really long green stalk coming out of it, though.
Oh dear. maybe they're still transitioning. Mine did fine without ferts. lol but I separated them all out into individual plants and planted those >.< so the clumping could be a contributing factor.

But still....Green leaves are a good sign!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #22 
OrangeAugust

Ok, I'll wait a while and see if it shoots up any more green. I also got brighter lights. It's in my 55 gal and I'm up to 2 watts per gallon with 2 bulbs now. Before I only had 1 watt/gallon if even that much. I don't know the wattage of my old bulb. But anyway, it could have responded badly to the low lighting at first. I'll see how it does. Maybe I'll try to separate it, too. When I first took it out of the package it had no roots so I wasn't sure how to separate it and I didn't want to rip it apart at the wrong places or something. I'll maybe take it out and see if there are any roots starting.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #23 
Greylady

I got my DHG from petco also. The first batch I tried to, seperate to spread it out a little so it could fill in better. They where so tiny I couldnt keep them in the substrate. Every day I'd look and there would be more and more floating, of course I think some of this was because the ghost shrimp and MTS wouodnt stay out of it! Lol.

Anyway, the second batch I just took scissors and cut it into thirds and planted it that way. It did fade a little and a few strands "escape" once in a while but it seems to be perking back up and getting greener now. I've had it about 3 wks. It's in my 6.6 gallon bookshelve tank which is shallow (approx 8 inches after substrate) so the DHG does get some light. It's a 15 watt, 6700k bulb.
Greylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #24 
Otterfun

my DHG is still green and grew maybe 1/8". I just plop the whole patch in there. Yes, it still tried to "float" as a patch of 4" X 1". I had to anchor it with quite a bit of Floramax. Now I am dealing with siphoning little gel bits...from hindsight, I think getting a matted patch from plantedaquariumcentral.com might not be too bad for a beginner like me. Unless, I learn how to "mat" it....hmmm
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #25 
ao
TFK Moderator

I grow my own emmersed, then use it in my tank when I have enough.
I simply wash the soil off the roots~ they don't go through a transitioning phase at all =D
ao is offline   Reply With Quote