Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #11 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raincloud View Post
I have to admit, I found it rather upsetting to find out that the pet store employees aren't always...ever...right...I believed them for years!

Thanks again for the advice. One last question :3 How long did you quarantine them for before adding them with your betta?
Our house is freezing and I have no way to heat their water other than to put them in the tank, so I just let them a few hours out of the tank, then a few hours in the tank in their bags before I release them (to give the betta a chance to get used to them and bored of them so they don't get attacked when I release them)

But they should probably be quarantined for at least a few days or more
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #12 
Raincloud

Don't feel bad, before I never quarantined any of my fish o.O I just acclimated them to the water. I just wanted to make sure I didn't make some silly mistake...to be honest I don't think I would be able to pick out any problem signs with them anyways XP
Raincloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:02 AM   #13 
djembekah

There used to be a fairly extensive care guide about ADFs in this section. From what I remember, 5 gallons isn't a great home for ADFs. especially more than one with a betta. They aren't fish so the (untrue) rule of inch per fish shouldn't really apply to them imo.

Also it was recommended that ADFs were quarantined for several months because they're ver susceptible to a disease (i believe its called Chytrid? Don't remember) that being housed with african clawed frogs can cause them to contract.

i promise i didn't come to be all mean or to scare and discourage though! I'm pretty interested in these little guys too. i had one die.less than a week after i bought him and put him in an unplanted 5gallon with my betta. I felt bad but I kind lf think he may have been sick already. i guess i have no way to know.

it definitely sounds like you are doing well with them though. maybe if you're interested try digging the ADF guide up :)
Posted via Mobile Device
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #14 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by djembekah View Post
There used to be a fairly extensive care guide about ADFs in this section. From what I remember, 5 gallons isn't a great home for ADFs. especially more than one with a betta. They aren't fish so the (untrue) rule of inch per fish shouldn't really apply to them imo.

Also it was recommended that ADFs were quarantined for several months because they're ver susceptible to a disease (i believe its called Chytrid? Don't remember) that being housed with african clawed frogs can cause them to contract.

i promise i didn't come to be all mean or to scare and discourage though! I'm pretty interested in these little guys too. i had one die.less than a week after i bought him and put him in an unplanted 5gallon with my betta. I felt bad but I kind lf think he may have been sick already. i guess i have no way to know.

it definitely sounds like you are doing well with them though. maybe if you're interested try digging the ADF guide up :)
Posted via Mobile Device

No discouragement here :) I've had african dwarf frogs for over a decade save for when I lived abroad. I know they're supposed to be quarantined (never heard of quarantining for that long of a time though) I'll admit I'm just bad about that part as I get too concerned because my house basically is a fridge (the house is 130 years old with little to no insulation and we have very harsh winter weather here)

I'm sure a 10 gallon would be more ideal, but the size won't determine their life span. I never had an ADF die before 2 years old, and when I was younger my mother always kept 2 in a 1.6 gallon hexagonal tank with a betta (mom never did any research or listened to advice) I think she went through 6 frogs before she moved and decided to stop keeping them. One of them lived almost to 4 years.

And you're right, it's chytrid that they get from being housed with ACFs.

Shrimps are my lesser experience, as these guys were my first, and one died the night after we got it (that one had jumped out of the employees hands and landed on the floor, so I don't doub it was already hurt or ill) but my other guy has been going strong for months... and feisty too.

That's what I mean with the bioloads. Even the 1 gallon per inch (which is to say minimum, not max... most people don't get that) doesn't count with all fish. Goldfish have a very high bioload and need a much larger tank than that ratio would permit. ADFs general rule is 1 gallon per frog, but 2 gallons would be better, and others argue 5 gallons per frog minimum. The argument of size is based on their bioload rather than need for space as they spend most of their time huddled and hiding, or just searching for food, so regular water changes and quality water would make 1 gallon per frog ok :)

Then shrimp have an very low bioload next to a tetra of the same size also. Though... it would be great to have some guides in this forum for betta friendly tank mates like snails, ADFs, and shrimp.

Maybe you could get together some experienced members to make some guides? That certainly would help people who are posting here for advice Like all the basics... food... tank size... needed water parameters, ph, temperatures, etc. Their social habits, likely illnesses, etc.

You have a good idea, maybe you can work soemthing out
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #15 
Raincloud

What are the symptoms of chytrid that I can look for while quarantined? Or is it simply that they will be sick or died o.O Does this frog disease effect bettas? And in general what should I look for when picking out an ADF? Or ghost shrimp if you know?
Raincloud is offline   Reply With Quote