Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #21 
Ramla

I think it refers to more prolonged use. Whenever I've looked for solutions to fin rot I've always found aquarium salts being an essential part in the treatment, and it worked wonders for my betta when he had it. And then using stress coat after to aid in the regrowth.

Also I saw melafix mentioned somewhere towards the beginning. I would advise not using it. It may be designated for fin rot and other bacterial infections for fish, but it is not good for bettas. Melafix usually contains tea tree oil, which is meant to help the fish in melafix, when in reality for bettas it has shown to coat the labrynth organ and can essentially suffocate your betta :/
Ramla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:05 AM   #22 
delagarza27

I never use salt for disease prevention. They are fresh water fish after all. I only use it when they are stressed or ill. It helps a lot for those.
delagarza27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:10 AM   #23 
delagarza27

http://bettasplendid.weebly.com/fin-rot-101.html
I use this when treating my betta. The step by step instructions were really helpful for the first time I saw it.

Last edited by delagarza27; 04-19-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:21 AM   #24 
jadaBlu

AQ salt and Jungle water conditioner with aloe stress coat helped one of my fish with fin rot and consistent clean water. However, my fish had just a tinge of browning on the ends. If I saw severe fin rot I'd probaby go for a medicine for it. I added Indian Almond leaves and I am noticed accelerated fin regrowth since I've added it.

The fin rot bacteria is contagious. I did some reading up on it and articles were saying you should QT a fish you spot with fin rot for that reason.

Last edited by jadaBlu; 04-19-2013 at 12:24 AM.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #25 
delagarza27

So my bettas fins are not showing typical signs of fin rot. I'm starting to think it is from tail biting or the filter. I've baffled my filter with a water bottle so there is not a strong current but I guess I will put something over the end to keep his fins from being sucked in. I'll upload some pictures. One is from when I fist got him and the other is from this morning. I'd like to hear what you guys think.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #26 
delagarza27

Pictures the first was from this morning, the second is when I first got him.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #27 
jadaBlu

If you have an intake that is round this will work you can make the hole a little bigger it's too small:

http://www.amazon.com/Pre-Filter-Spo...+filter+sponge
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning, disease, fin rot, help betta has fin rot, treatment