Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

Anyone know where to get a Flourescent hood for a Aqueon 40 gallon breeder?

The dimesions are 36.2" x 18.3" x 17. I was going to order one from Petco yesterday but it's 35.8" x 9.5" x 3.4" which is not big enough for full coverage. Oddly this is the only close size shown on the Aqueon site.
They have a versa top that would probably fit but I am placing my tank not far from a mantel in my house which my cats sometimes sit on an leap off of. Hopefully they won't try to jump on top of the aquarium but I need something sturdy. So far I've hated the versa tops I have and then you have to buy a light too more $$$.

If you have found any hoods for this Aquarium let me know.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #2 
jadaBlu

Well if anyone knows of hood let me know. I called Aqueon this morning and the are only offering a (insert curse word!) versa top! I hate them. The don't fit right I've had them collapse into my tank and they are not secure. I guess that will teach me not to buy a tank without researching covers and lighting first. GRRR! You will be my hero if you do find a hood that fits that isn't a versa top.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:13 AM   #3 
jadaBlu

I gave up and bought the smaller hood. I am going to use plexiglass to fill the small gap.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:42 PM   #4 
Jodah

DIY a hood and make it nice nice. Plexi ,which I assume you'll grab from your nearest home cheapo/lowes, will eventually bow downwards after a short while. It's also a pita to keep clean and clear. Glass will be better in the long run. Easier to keep clean, and won't bow downards on ya.

The reason you are having a hard time finding a hood for the 40B is because it's mostly used by Saltwater hobbyist (myself included with my double 40B) and run open top.

Finally, a nice wood canopy can be inexpensive depending on what wood you choose, and you have the satisfaction of building it yourself. Which is always a bonus.
Jodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #5 
jadaBlu

Do you mean like the rectangle wood type things people put around the top of thier tanks? I have thought wood and water don't mix but I guess if you use krylon fusion it might work.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #6 
Jodah

I wouldn't use Krylon Fusion on it actually. I'd use Killz primer/sealer on the inside, and a nice stain on the outside. You would only need maybe a quart of the killz, and wood stains go a very long way. You can get all this easily at Home Depot. not sure if Lowes carries it, but I would imagine they either do carry it, or something comparable.
Jodah is offline   Reply With Quote