Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #31 
jadaBlu

I actually finally got someone to discount a sick fish. It's an elephant ear that I know had been there about a month and half no doubt due to the $19.99 price tag. I actually was somewhat interested in him when I was looking for fish but the $19.99 was more than I wanted to pay. I left with three others. I persuaded a girl with last night to sell him to me for $5.00. I could tell she like the bettas she was trying to get me to buy one in particular that she liked the coloring of. So I appealed to her caring about them. She wanted follow up photos. I hope he lives. He didn't look good this morning. I have him posted in fish emergencies now.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #32 
JefferyAndMilo

I had been up to a PetCo on Tuesday, and was sad to see 2 dead fighter fish up in their cubbies. I had told the employees, and they seemed happy that I found the dead fish. Probably in worry that it might damage their fighter sales if they were left up there. Its a shame how much these poor fish go through until they either die, or are taken home by someone who is willing to take care of them for as long as they need. I think the only thing worse than seeing them up there on the shelf are the people that buy fighter fish for office cubicals and put them in tiny vases, or people who buy them for their children and they end up in tiny bowls.

At Petsmart, where I rescued a halfmoon, they were in much much better condition than the other ones. They all seemed lively, but they were swimming in their own filth. The thing that bugs me the most about where they put these fish is the little fact sign they have up next to them.
"Did you know betta fish thrive in small and tiny places? In the wild, they live in rice puddles!"

No, actually, they live in 550,000 gallon rice paddies that are knee deep.
Does that sound like a 3x3 inch plastic cup to you?
JefferyAndMilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #33 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyAndMilo View Post
Does that sound like a 3x3 inch plastic cup to you?
Especially when that cup is MAYBE half full!

MoonShadow had this brilliant idea of things to do with her business cards, and I think if some of us did this or similar with a care sheet, or a URL to this website, it would help.

She thought that putting her business cards INTO the boxes that those "betta" tanks are sold in would get people curious enough to go to her site.

I think if most of us did something similar, or tuck them under the cups or between them, that people would see them and wonder what they are.

We could all be advocacy ninjas!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #34 
logisticsguy

Moonshadow you have inspired me to expand my betta capacity and make some room for rescues.

Disgusted at the condition of these fish being so emaciated and in filthy water.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #35 
justmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
Especially when that cup is MAYBE half full!

MoonShadow had this brilliant idea of things to do with her business cards, and I think if some of us did this or similar with a care sheet, or a URL to this website, it would help.

She thought that putting her business cards INTO the boxes that those "betta" tanks are sold in would get people curious enough to go to her site.

I think if most of us did something similar, or tuck them under the cups or between them, that people would see them and wonder what they are.

We could all be advocacy ninjas!
I'd be up for it. I've been thinking of making a care sheet and seeing if my lps would let me leave them by the bettas. Free of charge to them of course.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #36 
MoonShadow

All of you guys are so wonderful!! I feel so blessed to be on this site with so many awesome fish loving people! I have a lot to update and ill do so when i get home later. Too much to type on my tablet! Lets just say i had a nice chat with the petco regional manager and came home with gorgeous new boys that i got after returning poor martini and cosmo!
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #37 
Stone

I save as many as I can but that usually means one of my fish has to die to make room for a new one be it rescue or one I really want, If I had the time and place and all the tanks and the stuff needed I would rescue more of them be it there is always a need for it, when I make my petstore rounds in knoxville I stop by 2 petcos 2 petsmarts, 2 pet supply plus and my favorite one "the aquarium" that one is one of the southeasts largest and all the fish are well taken care of, they even have a strict return policy of 14 days and you need to bring water in for testing I have only had 2 fish from their die on me and basically was my fault with bioload pushing but the petcos and petsmarts would be an endless supply of rescues well one of the petcos for sure could keep any rescuer busy I wish I could save them all but I can't no one can then there are the 2 walmarts in my area I don't even need to go into them to know there is at least 2-3 rescues in them, maybe when I retire I will spend more time saving them to be adopted out
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #38 
lovefordebbie
Banned

your so inspritational. any way i can help?
lovefordebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:33 AM   #39 
Shine

I know what you mean...I saved Harry. He was the last Betta that was still moving. All the other ones at my PetCo were turned over from disease. I couldn't sleep last week, worrying that he too would suffer the same fate. then BOOM, this week he did a complete 180...healthy as ever. As you can see all his lower fin areas are curled and messed up. He still needs a lot of TLC. I have been doing 100% water changes every 2 days with water conditioner. Here's his latest picture.
Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:22 AM   #40 
mattoboy

Man I wish I had the nerve to ask for a discount on fish to rescue! Kind of tough when your young :(
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote