Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2013, 07:08 AM   #1 
Ashashi

Question Crowntail and Double Tail Halfmoon concerns

Hello everyone, I recently got two new boys:

a gorgeous red crowntail with pretty green metallic flecks on his scale who is very active having been a walmart fish.

and what was labeled at the petco as a double tail halfmoon who seems like my crowntail's polar opposite and I'm worried.

While he has no sign of diseases right now he has a pale body with translucent red/black tipped fins. He is more active now that I gave him more hiding spots but he's still somewhat of a picky eater.

I guess my problem is should I worry about him and his fins? And is he really a double tail half moon?

Here's a picture of him: http://25.media.tumblr.com/3d63b31f2..._1280.jpg?.jpg

and for those curious, here's a picture of my crowntail who is thriving:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/894617ca7...9czo1_1280.jpg

any advice?
Ashashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #2 
Myates

That is a double tail Halfmoon :) (DTHM)

Sometimes their fins can be translucent - either completely clear or colored translucent.

He looks healthy - I don't see a problem with his fins nor body at all - his color will change in time with lots of love, good food and clean water.. it may intensify, get darker, etc.. but at this time he looks good so you don't have to worry. He is definitely a mix background - looks like he has some orange dalmation, chocolate and blue in his genes. He's a handsome boy :)

Your CT looks good too, could use some more weight on him, but that will come in time. Good finds!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #3 
D359

Oh wow, your DTHM is beautiful.
D359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #4 
Ashashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
That is a double tail Halfmoon :) (DTHM)

Sometimes their fins can be translucent - either completely clear or colored translucent.

He looks healthy - I don't see a problem with his fins nor body at all - his color will change in time with lots of love, good food and clean water.. it may intensify, get darker, etc.. but at this time he looks good so you don't have to worry. He is definitely a mix background - looks like he has some orange dalmation, chocolate and blue in his genes. He's a handsome boy :)

Your CT looks good too, could use some more weight on him, but that will come in time. Good finds!
Thank you for your nice replies :)

I was worried cause my DTHM has little tears at the very ends of his fins. Not very many, maybe 3 with one being the larger of them tops.

I hope they grow back soon. Usually whenever I get new fish I put a little Aq. Salt and a drop of bettafix into the bowl just as a safety precaution since walmart fish and sometimes petco fish aren't always as healthy as they look right away.

I've had him for a week now and the tears don't seem to be healing much, how long would it usually take?
Old 04-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #5 
Ashashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by D359 View Post
Oh wow, your DTHM is beautiful.
Thank you :) My little sister actually helped me pick him out.

I wasn't originally going to get him, but she said "He looks sad and his water has cruddy stuff in it."

He was pretty lethargic and his water had little scum bits in it >< I'm glad I got him and not a different one, the others looked to be in better conditions than him too.

Tags
crowntail, doubletail, halfmoon