Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2013, 04:23 AM   #11 
crystalicethorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roemgie View Post
Oh ok awesome I'm glad you can at least ID him! He has a slightly rounded shell. I knew he wasn't a mystery snail because I've seen plenty of those and I had thought about getting one at some point.

Do you think it would be safe to let him into my tank? I have a lot more to offer in the 10 rather than the five and its cycled. My biggest concern is that I could have sworn I heard that you can 'feed' snails to bettas or at least fish in general. Also in they'll pick at them enough that it 'eats' them or at least kills them. Is that something to be worried about?

And I have most of my plants in my 10 gallon so that means that it should be something in my five that had them in it...but i did move a few to my 10 gallon. How long does it take them to grow? And being that I only see one could I be safe to say he would stay as one and not be fertilized and multiple?
Most snails reproduce asexually, so letting him out into a tank, if you are not prepared may not be the best idea. And some fish do eat the sails, but not all. If you are really set on putting him in, wait for it to be big enough so it cant be swallowed.
And in my bowl i have one small plant which is good enough food for them but some snails dont even eat plants (not sure about the bladder snail) and i crush a very small pellet into the water once a month just in case.
And i had mine as an egg (flushed the rest by accident) and is now 3 months old. And yours looks around the same size as mine or maybe just a bit younger.
crystalicethorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #12 
Haseo

Ive been trying to get rid of my pond snails. I changed rocks, scrubbed tank and put all the decorations in boiling water and they still come back so i don't think you need to worry about killing the little guy lol
Haseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #13 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbetta View Post
Although I have seen and known some bettas to attack snails the majority of them were bigger snails that actually made a "presence" in the tank(think nerite snails or mystery snails). Most smaller snails bettas will be curious because that is their nature but normally they are small enough to not really garner the attention it would take for them to kill them. Plus snails are very resilient and will just pull themselves back into their shells. I do know of people taking small pond snails and smashing them where the bettas can eat the snail since the shell is destroyed and that the bettas do eat the snail. My thoughts are that if you have one that is the size of that one...you definitely have more but they are more than likely too small to see yet. Since these snails reproduce without needing another snail, you could easily have a decent amount of them without much work from you. I actually had some very pretty pond snails and the ones that are breeding in my tanks are descendants of that one pretty snail.

Yeah once I distracted them they didn't seem to pay him much attention BUT I then realized i had about 4 teaspoons of Epsom salt in my 10 gallon so I removed him quickly and shim's happily eating lettuce as we speak :)
And I've had the lettuce in the 5 gallon for a whole day now and he's the only one that has at least come to eat from it so I thought that was incredibly interesting (I could have accidentally sucked up the babies in the past and he made it).
I hope the babies are pretty too :) someone made the point that the snails only reproduce as needed so if there's too much what ever in the tank they will produce enough to get rid of the excess amount. I know I don't want to kill him but i'm worried that I may get over runned and therefore have some die from starvation. Although I have thought about just constantly putting lettuce in the tank so that they will hopefully leave my other plants alone
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #14 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalicethorn View Post
Most snails reproduce asexually, so letting him out into a tank, if you are not prepared may not be the best idea. And some fish do eat the sails, but not all. If you are really set on putting him in, wait for it to be big enough so it cant be swallowed.
And in my bowl i have one small plant which is good enough food for them but some snails dont even eat plants (not sure about the bladder snail) and i crush a very small pellet into the water once a month just in case.
And i had mine as an egg (flushed the rest by accident) and is now 3 months old. And yours looks around the same size as mine or maybe just a bit younger.
Yeah I was floating him and when I felt he was ready put the cup on the bottom, he stayed on the cup and the girls investigated him but then I realized that I had epsom salt in my water so I quickly removed him and he's going to stay in my 5 gallon for now
So far he's been going to town (as much as one snail can) on the lettuce I provided. And that would be amazing if he was 3 months old!! Gosh he would have been going through so much before I moved Maybelline into my 10 gallon!! I have to say it's awesome to think of him as a little survivor :)
Old 04-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #15 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haseo View Post
Ive been trying to get rid of my pond snails. I changed rocks, scrubbed tank and put all the decorations in boiling water and they still come back so i don't think you need to worry about killing the little guy lol
Ok good :) so far it's just him and I know if I got more I couldn't kill them myself so I'm on the look out currently for any other little guys.

Also I know snails bring in a bioload but do you think he produces enough to slightly keep up a 5 gallon aquarium or do you think I should add a drop or two of ammonia every so often?
Old 04-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #16 
Haseo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roemgie View Post
Ok good :) so far it's just him and I know if I got more I couldn't kill them myself so I'm on the look out currently for any other little guys.

Also I know snails bring in a bioload but do you think he produces enough to slightly keep up a 5 gallon aquarium or do you think I should add a drop or two of ammonia every so often?
In my opinion one snail isn't going to hurt much as long as your doing the regular needed maintenance for your tank.
Haseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #17 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haseo View Post
In my opinion one snail isn't going to hurt much as long as your doing the regular needed maintenance for your tank.
Oh no I was hoping one snail could keep it going lol I'm not worried about him hurting it :P
Old 04-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #18 
isochronism

I did get a couple of pond snails in with a large Java fern from a LFS three months ago. I suck them out with a turkey baster whenever I see a new baby and put them in their own container and feed them. (I did choose to have a few Nerites in my tanks, tho)
I now have maybe five dozen pond snails!!!
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #19 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by isochronism View Post
I did get a couple of pond snails in with a large Java fern from a LFS three months ago. I suck them out with a turkey baster whenever I see a new baby and put them in their own container and feed them. (I did choose to have a few Nerites in my tanks, tho)
I now have maybe five dozen pond snails!!!
Oh wow!!