Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2013, 04:17 PM   #1 
caspertheelephantear

Should I move my elephant ear?

I previously posted about my elephant ear betta being sick. After moving him to a 5g tank, he got really sick, lost his color, tore his fins, and lost scales. My assumption was that he was stressed. I moved him to a smaller 1.5g tank for him to recover, treating him with aquarium salt
caspertheelephantear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #2 
caspertheelephantear

Sorry I accidentally submitted this before I was finished. Continuing:

He's recovered a lot, his scales and fins seem to be healing and hes regained all of his color and calmed down a lot (he also became aggressive while he was stressed).
I feel I may not have provided enough places for him to hide in the 5g as it had a relatively large open space in the middle with a lot of plants on the sides. If I were to provide him with more things to hide behind and swim through, would it be okay if I moved him back? I'm afraid the same thing as before will happen again when I move him to the 5g.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #3 
Canis

Did you test the water in your 5g?
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #4 
caspertheelephantear

Yes, it was slightly soft but still well within the acceptable range
Old 04-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #5 
Crowntails

I've heard of bettas being happier in a smaller tank. If he seems to be better in the 1.5 gallon tank, I'd keep him in it.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #6 
Kithy

If there's open space in the tank he might be scared. Best to fill in empty spaces so he feels more secure.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #7 
Sivan

Betta fish that have excessively long fins may struggle to live in large-volume tanks because it can be difficult for them to swim. Unless your 5 gallon is shallow and long, the difficulty of swimming with such heavy fins can be detrimental for your fish's health. As long as the tank is at least 1 gallon and is regularly cleaned, your fish will have a quality life.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #8 
jadaBlu

I just rescued an elephant ear he is posted in fish emergencies now. I was wondering if your fish is pretty unwieldy when he tries to swim. Even without his other problems swimming seems to big effort for him.

In regard to your fish I thinks it's true some fish might like the smaller space. I have a crowntail in large container that seem much happier in a one gallon. In the big container he has stress stripes often and seems jumpy. I have say this particular crown tail does not have good form so he does have to expend a great deal of energy to swim. In the small tank he was much friendlier. Maybe you could go with 2 gallon or 2.5 instead. I think in the end that is where my Crowntail Curly will go.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote