Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #1 
Kellifers

Help!! Fin Rot problems.

Hey All,

I have 1 betta in a 5 gallon, heated, cycled aquarium. Silk plants only, with a little bit of gravel. One of the plants is very tall and slows down the current quite a bit.

About three weeks ago, I notices a part of his dorsal fin looked a little torn and black. The next day his fins were severely torn and eroded. I watch him quite a lot, and I've never seen him nip at his fins. He did seem a bit agitated though.

All signs pointed to fin rot, so I took him out of the aquarium and put him in a 1 gallon, heated, unfiltered hospital tank. I treated him with aquarium salt and daily 100% water changes for 5 days. After I ran out of aquarium salt, I kept him in his hospital tank for another 5 days, changing the water 100% every day. His fins stopped rotting away and they looked way better. He ate regularly and swam and seemed better.

I totally cleaned out his 5 gallon aquarium, all the plants and got totally new gravel. I moved him back home the day before yesterday. I looked at his fins today, and they seem moderately rotted and torn up again. I'm getting extremely frustrated after having spent many hours treating and changing water. I don't really know what else to do. I never see him nip at his fins. There is nothing sharp whatsoever in his aquarium. Any advice?

Last edited by Kellifers; 04-19-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Kellifers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #2 
HeroicPoison

Can you add any pics that would be most helpful
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #3 
Kellifers

Yes, it was difficult to get him to be still long enough-these were just taken today-
Old 04-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #4 
Kellifers

Old 04-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #5 
HeroicPoison

ok so the black at the tips of his fins isnt normal? is it still there?
does he have anything in his tank that has any sharp points or edges? this includes any and all decor
is your filter intake strong? this can suck up fins and shred them like that. I cover mine with nylon to ensure no fin sucking at all.
Id put him back in his hospital tank, take everything out of your tank and totally empty it let everything sit out in the sun for a few days... this will kill any bacteria. after rinse everything really well. I boil my gravel after sickness to kill anything on it... allow this to dry out afterwards as well (lots of drying)
You can do a vinegar rinse on your tank to sterilize it. wash out your filter and throw the current cartridge away. Clean everything in your tank.
How many days all together has he been in clean water (no AQ salt)
keeping them in AQ salt for too long can be harmful to ur fish, its hard on their internal organs. So if he has had a long enough break id pick up more AQ salt and treat him for no longer than 10 days. Lower his tank temp to 76F (no lower or higher) anything over that will promote fin rot growth, anything lower is harmful to your fish. If it doesnt fully go away he may need antibiotics to solve the problem. Do not stop his treatment unless it it totally gone (unless it reaches the 10 day mark). The black should completely go away, and you should start seeing regrowth (this will be clear/white parts on his fins) Once the fin rot is gone and your tank is put back together start adding API stresscoat+ to his water this will repair his slime coat lost during treatment and help his fins regrow.

Last edited by HeroicPoison; 04-19-2013 at 08:21 PM. Reason: oops forgot info XD
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

I can't see the pictures.....

Some questions:
1) What is the water temp in the large tank?
2) What is the water temp in the small tank?
3) You said the large tank is cycled. Have you tested the water? (Specifically for ammonia, nitrates, nitrites?)
4) By cleaning out the large tank, replacing the gravel, etc.... Have you considered that your cycle might have been affected? Again, posting some water test results would be helpful for people to see.
5) How much aquarium salt were you adding to the small tank?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
finrot