Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #1 
DJay

Biting his own tail, what?

Hey everyone, i just registered 15 minutes ago for this site, i figured since i use it as a reference anyway i might as well be a member. So im a brand new fish keeper, and a month and a half ago i got my first pet ever Sebastian, hes a betta fish in a fluval spec 2 gallon tank, i had to stuff some cloth into the filter nossel so the current doesn't sweep him away. I do the regular water changes mostly because it will evaporate away if i dont add conditioned water, for the first month he was doing fine, his back fins were ripped when i got him and he healed after a week or so and hes been fine since. I went home over the weekend from my dorm and left my roommate to feed him but i came yesterday night and the bottom corner of his tail was chewed. I did a 25% water change to help prevent infection when i saw that and but as of this morning for some reason hes chewed the last 5mm of his tail fin. Even tho its only been a month im very attached to this little fishy and dont want him to get worse what do i do?? oh btw he had a problem a couple of weeks ago with freaking out at his own reflection but it slowly went away and he only does it now withing 5-10 minutes after feeding, after that he just chills. I use the recommended dose of nutrafin betta (it has that almond leaf extract stuff in it) and nutrafin cycle for my fish tank with every water change. Lights are automated and on for about 9 hours a day i think, the tank is heated with the hagen mini heater thing. Hes also made bubble nests like crazy, theres usually always been a bubble nest hes been working on since the week his fins healed. I have no clue what happened this weekend :$

Last edited by DJay; 04-17-2013 at 10:10 AM.
DJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

He could have been stressed or frustrated, especially if you keep him on a strict schedule like how it seems, when you went away he probably missed you and assuming your roommate didn't feed him at the same times or give him the affection he needed. So he was probably just stressed that you were gone, some fish just do that. Just keep his water nice and clean and warm and he should be fine and regrow them :) Looks like he loves you lots!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:16 AM   #3 
HeroicPoison

I agree with lilnaugrim, bettas get very attached to their owners and look forward to seeing them everyday. Just make sure your giving him the attention he's looking for. My bettas look for me and stalk me when I talk to any other betta then them. Keep his water clean and warm as mentioned above, and he should be as happy as ever. If there are any changes let us know :)
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:18 AM   #4 
DJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroicPoison View Post
I agree with lilnaugrim, bettas get very attached to their owners and look forward to seeing them everyday. Just make sure your giving him the attention he's looking for. My bettas look for me and stalk me when I talk to any other betta then them. Keep his water clean and warm as mentioned above, and he should be as happy as ever. If there are any changes let us know :)
LOL this happens to me too! Might not help that i occasionally say a sentence here and there to him or that i usually end up watching him as a distraction from studying XD Also will do and thank you both for your replies, ill keep you posted, i just checked on him and his tail didnt get any worse, i may have woken him up tho, from whatever still-like state fishies "sleep" in. Unfortunately tho i will not be able to take him home with me but have made arrangements with a friend for him to stay over the summer (may-late august) ive left her with everything,including supplies, she could possibly need and made an idiot-proof manual for her from all the research ive done, the problems ive faced (hardly any) and heard of, step by step instructions for pretty much everything, and the individual personality and likes of my fish (Sebastian), its about 30 pages. Hopefully he wont tear himself to pieces when its time to live with my friend for a couple months, we will be reunited in august.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:24 AM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Do you have any Stress Coat conditioner? This aids in the new growth of fins, when you change his water I would recommend a regular to double dose (which ever you feel comfortable doing) for his water. This will also help for when your friend takes care of him. I'm not entirely sure about the prolonged use of double doses but at least for a month it should help him heal up nicely.

Yeah, I talk to my Betta's too lol, especially Piebald who sits in his lovely new 3 gallon on my night table...I may or may not have given up most of my side table for him....I'm not obsessed I swear! Haha

Even if your friend thinks it's silly, try to get her to talk to him while your away, and I would definitely go over everything with her before you leave and express just how much he means to you.

Also, my Betta Remmy sleeps like a rock, not even when I move by his tank will he wake up! Sometimes he almost scares me into thinking he's dead but then he catches me out of the corner of his eye and swims right up to greet me lol Cute little things they are ^^
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:31 AM   #6 
DJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Do you have any Stress Coat conditioner? This aids in the new growth of fins, when you change his water I would recommend a regular to double dose (which ever you feel comfortable doing) for his water. This will also help for when your friend takes care of him. I'm not entirely sure about the prolonged use of double doses but at least for a month it should help him heal up nicely.

Yeah, I talk to my Betta's too lol, especially Piebald who sits in his lovely new 3 gallon on my night table...I may or may not have given up most of my side table for him....I'm not obsessed I swear! Haha

Even if your friend thinks it's silly, try to get her to talk to him while your away, and I would definitely go over everything with her before you leave and express just how much he means to you.

Also, my Betta Remmy sleeps like a rock, not even when I move by his tank will he wake up! Sometimes he almost scares me into thinking he's dead but then he catches me out of the corner of his eye and swims right up to greet me lol Cute little things they are ^^

ok ill see if i can get that stuff from the pet store, yea sebastian didnt wake up till i jiggled his tank lol sounds like remmy's very cheeky rofl and its cool i had to move stuff from the dresser hes on to the floor to make room.
Also

Also today i read another reason for this could be boredom, so just in case he sporadically got bored i added a small glass jar about 1 inch in diameter and length for him to hide in and investigate, i will also be planning to add a betta hammock in a couple of months and a ping pong ball in 4 months and just alternate those to keep him occupied just in case.

Thank you for your help guys!
Old 04-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #7 
DJay

update: its been 2 hours since i last checked up on him and hes now working on.... yet another bubble nest. XD i guess that means all is good now :P, but hes shown no interest whatsoever in the jar i put in lol

so lessons to take away from this:
- My friend has some pretty big shoes to fill
- Sebastian doesn't take to everyone
- keep him on his normal schedule or all hell breaks loose
- Sebastian enjoys company

Last edited by DJay; 04-18-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #8 
HeroicPoison

Very good! Im glad hes doing better :)
and yes your friend has a lot of work, please make sure she gives him attention... its so sad when you go away and upon your return your Bettas dont act right due to lack of interaction. Its happened to me before and you really have to sweet talk em to bring them out.
Let me know how he is doing when you get back :) I hope all goes well!
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote