Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #351 
bettafishgirl

So it's been identified? Excellent! So when a fish gets this, how do we cure it? Or do we even know this yet.
bettafishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #352 
LittleBlueFishlets

Bettafish -

I suggest you read Coppermoon's and Betta Basement's posts (earlier in this thread) regarding Mycobacteria. The posts provide a lot of information.

Basement Betta also started another thread about Mycobacteria. You can view it by clicking here.

Full information, including the fact that there is no "cure," is described in this excellent article, which available online: Mycobacterial Infections in Fish.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #353 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
Little Leaf - Are you asking if there are videos of a fish with Myco? There aren't any 'significant' symptoms that would show up in a video.

The disease affects the internal organs first, so there are no visible symptoms. The fish might be a little lethargic. It may be slightly bloated.....

As the 'end' approaches, it may develop skin lesions. It may develop additional bloating, or "dropsy" type symptoms. At the very end, its fins may turn gray or black. But not all fish will have the same symptoms. And even if the symptoms are displayed, they may not be very noticeable. (For example, the article I read said that some fish develop skin lesions, but others do not.)

(P.S. I don't think that either King Dedede or Rose have this. I think they are just suffering from being in an overcrowded tank. I know that your parents won't let you move the fish, so this is not your fault. But I think their symptoms are caused by the stress of being in that tank. I don't think they have Myco.)
What's a lesion? also, I was asking for the video because I wanted to see how the swim bladder was affected (as if it's sliding or stuck on the surface)
Little Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #354 
Scottyhorse

Okay, I have a suggestion and a question mixed into one. I've read every page of this. And I am wondering, can this live in saltwater? I know the saltwater fish keepers will dip fish in freshwater to kill bacteria and such. If I read correctly, I read that almost all fish carry this, but it stays dormant? Well what if we dipped all new fish in saltwater, and cleaned all the equipment in saltwater? Not sure if this would work or not, but if it would I would do it. I have one betta right now who is black, red and blue. (Crowntail) I would like to get another betta or two, but I would like to learn more about this before I buy anything else.

Also, should we stop buying bettas at petsmart/petco and buy from Thai breeders? I would like to avoid this as much as possible. I probably won't buy anymore blue bettas.
Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #355 
Coppermoon

So far it is not curable. I know a breeder that also has a background in microbiology is actually looking to find a cure...or at least something to stop the spread early on.

Salt will not kill it. It has a thick waxy cell wall like human TB (which is probably why it is called Fish TB...but per the lab I used...it is NOT TB).
Coppermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:56 AM   #356 
Scottyhorse

So this can live in marine conditions? Wow.
Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #357 
JefferyAndMilo

Is this only affecting blue males or can it be in all the colors?
JefferyAndMilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:17 PM   #358 
LittleBlueFishlets

Mycobacteria infects many species of fish, not just bettas. It affects all colors of bettas.

Here is a good article: Mycobacterial Infections in Fish https://srac.tamu.edu/index.cfm/even...Sheet/.../231/
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:41 PM   #359 
AyalaCookiejar

There's also different strains. Not all fish with Mycos even develop this rapid fin deterioration. There's so many different symptoms of this disease that its really almost impossible to identify unless the bodies are sent in for testing.

I'll also point out that there must be something else that can cause these symptoms because I have seen two members here with fish whose fins deteriorated rapidly like this and they actually fully recovered and their fins grew back completely.

Mycos has no cure so I highly doubt that that was caused by it. I know the one fish developed it right after a water change so it might've been an issue with the water?

But then again, Mycos is also a wasting disease that develops over a long period of time and can be carried by a fish for years before killing them.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #360 
ddicioccio

Fish turning Black

I had this happen to one on my guys. I had a really bad run of bad luck buying what appeared to be healthy Betta's, only to have them stop eating, and eventually die. Back to the point I didn't see this article until after I had disposed of the one who's head turned Black.
My wife has a red one that is starting to show signs, very lethargic, and
he is starting to turn black on top of his head. If he does die, what should
I do about getting him be checked for this disease? How should I package
him, and where should I send him?

Thanks

Last edited by ddicioccio; 05-14-2013 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Spelling
ddicioccio is offline   Reply With Quote