1. Money :( I need a job like...yesterday.
2. Ran out of current space for the tanks, I've got 5 tanks set up at the moment (3 gallon, 4 gal, 5.5 gal, 10 (split), and a 33 which has it's own stand)
3. I have too many wires coming out from everywhere! I don't have a ceiling light so I've got two lamps plugged in, half the time my laptop is plugged in and then my alarm clock. And then of course each tank as 3-4 wires coming out of it already so that adds up to be quite a bit! This is all at my dads house though, as soon as we sell our piano at my mom's house we can set up the 29 gallon I got for free :D
At this time I have 4 in my room. I am limited because:
1) I am out of electrical outlets.
2) I live at home with my grandparents while I attend grad school.. and they do not know about the fish (yes, I do not support sneaky behavior, but I'm 27 years old, work 3 jobs, care for their horses, care for their dogs ... by golly if I want a fish I'll have it).
3) Time. I teach 2 classes right now (one recently ended as a trimester course, I was teaching 3), I'm in 3 classes right now, I work at a pet store on the weekends, occasionally during the week I'm called into the family business to help with office work, I am very active in activities at school (not because I want to be, but because no one else will do it because they're "too busy"), I care for 40 horses and 8 dogs each day, and I'm trying to do my research so I can finally be done with grad school.
Wow, do u have time to sleep, I thought I was busy with grad school + FT job. If u r teaching, will u do PhD?
I already have six (Everyone you see at the bottom, plus the new guy who still doesn't have a name) and the general consensus in the apartment I live in says I have enough. 3 are in 2 gallon tanks, and the other three are in three gallon+ tanks. What's stopping me from getting more is:
1) I sincerely believe that I would not be able to care for anymore right now, without compromising someone else
2) Not enough outlets
3) Not enough space
4) Not enough money
On top of those things already listed, it takes me at least two hours or more to clean everyone's tanks. I love them and their health and well being will always trump my tired feet or soreness, but I want to keep it at that. Six for is simply what I can handle, and as soon as I can find a job and can support myself, then maybe I'll consider expanding my school. Plus, every time I bring a new guy or girl home they look at me like I've just cheated on them, especially Neil XD
teeneythebetta just wait one day you will on your own and can get as many fish as you want...Hugs ! Plus you will already know about fish keeping and did and awesome job with your girl so you will be all set and ready to jump right in and get those fish and tanks set up !
I only have my one tank and Perseus and although I am tempted to get more I think just one suits me much better right now since I can spend all my money on making him happy..lol Also I go spend time with my son a lot and I will not leave Perseus over two days at the most so if I going to be gone longer that than that I have to take Perseus and his 5 gallon with me and set it up at his house. Since I live back in the woods with so many trees power outages scare me during bad weather so keeping one tank warm is enough for me to handle and if I had more tanks and fish to worry about keeping warm I think I would totally freak out...*eyes my heat packs sitting close by* lol Anyway thats why I only have one fish right now plus he is enough to keep me happy and I also have my dog Barkley to take care of and they are both dearly loved !
Ok so you all with 20+ (or 200+ O.o) how long does it take you to do water changes? cause it takes me like an hour and a half min to do mine.
I've got mine split so I never have to clean them all on one day. The way I have it I end up spending maybe 3 hours changing tanks a day. It would probably take me less, but things aren't step up well right now & I have tanks in 5 different rooms in the house, both upstairs and downstairs. All the up & down, back & forth with a 3 yr old trying to help extends the time. Being a homemaker I can take more time too, so I acclimate them very slowly each time. If I'm rushed I can usually get things done in a hour, 2 max.
It turns out that nothing is really stopping my house getting more though. My daughter bought herself a pretty yellow lady today & my mom added a nice white EE boy to the mix. Of course I will likely be the one changing them too.