Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #11 
teeneythebetta

My dad. Took the one I had away 7 months ago because he says I spend too much time (and money) on animals and not enough time with people.... :/
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #12 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

1. Money :( I need a job like...yesterday.
2. Ran out of current space for the tanks, I've got 5 tanks set up at the moment (3 gallon, 4 gal, 5.5 gal, 10 (split), and a 33 which has it's own stand)
3. I have too many wires coming out from everywhere! I don't have a ceiling light so I've got two lamps plugged in, half the time my laptop is plugged in and then my alarm clock. And then of course each tank as 3-4 wires coming out of it already so that adds up to be quite a bit! This is all at my dads house though, as soon as we sell our piano at my mom's house we can set up the 29 gallon I got for free :D
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #13 
Tigersoul101

I think my factors are
1) My parents
2) Space
3) I'm a little lazy sometimes
and 4) Money...

Oh yeah 5) I don't have enough outlets!
Tigersoul101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #14 
DanielaMarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
I can't count how many I have.. 500+ is the best estimate at this point. And this is after I have taken out over 400 in the last couple weeks. .

Space is stopping me right now.. I don't want to overrun the house, so I keep them all in one room and that space is starting to get cramped lol
That's amazing! How do you have the space for all of them?
DanielaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #15 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
At this time I have 4 in my room. I am limited because:

1) I am out of electrical outlets.
2) I live at home with my grandparents while I attend grad school.. and they do not know about the fish (yes, I do not support sneaky behavior, but I'm 27 years old, work 3 jobs, care for their horses, care for their dogs ... by golly if I want a fish I'll have it).
3) Time. I teach 2 classes right now (one recently ended as a trimester course, I was teaching 3), I'm in 3 classes right now, I work at a pet store on the weekends, occasionally during the week I'm called into the family business to help with office work, I am very active in activities at school (not because I want to be, but because no one else will do it because they're "too busy"), I care for 40 horses and 8 dogs each day, and I'm trying to do my research so I can finally be done with grad school.
Wow, do u have time to sleep, I thought I was busy with grad school + FT job. If u r teaching, will u do PhD?
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #16 
Otterfun

For me, lack of time, space, plants, and electrical outlets to be a responsible owner.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #17 
VJM

I feel like I need to get my three in perfect conditions first. I have one tank cycling, and I will be really glad when that process is over.

Then, my veiltail is growing his tail back after a biting episode. Once he does, I want to get a 6.5 gallon for him, which involves another cycle and moving his tons of plants over to the new tank.

Then, I want a five gallon for my doubletail. Maybe a Spec. Which involves another cycle and replanting.

Their current tanks will become plant growout tanks.

It's more about providing the best environment possible for the ones I have before taking on more.

Eventually, I would like to rescue bettas from craigslist. Seems like every month or two there is some poor little impulse purchase offered for free.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #18 
quietlythundering

I already have six (Everyone you see at the bottom, plus the new guy who still doesn't have a name) and the general consensus in the apartment I live in says I have enough. 3 are in 2 gallon tanks, and the other three are in three gallon+ tanks. What's stopping me from getting more is:
1) I sincerely believe that I would not be able to care for anymore right now, without compromising someone else
2) Not enough outlets
3) Not enough space
4) Not enough money
On top of those things already listed, it takes me at least two hours or more to clean everyone's tanks. I love them and their health and well being will always trump my tired feet or soreness, but I want to keep it at that. Six for is simply what I can handle, and as soon as I can find a job and can support myself, then maybe I'll consider expanding my school. Plus, every time I bring a new guy or girl home they look at me like I've just cheated on them, especially Neil XD
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #19 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

teeneythebetta just wait one day you will on your own and can get as many fish as you want...Hugs ! Plus you will already know about fish keeping and did and awesome job with your girl so you will be all set and ready to jump right in and get those fish and tanks set up !

I only have my one tank and Perseus and although I am tempted to get more I think just one suits me much better right now since I can spend all my money on making him happy..lol Also I go spend time with my son a lot and I will not leave Perseus over two days at the most so if I going to be gone longer that than that I have to take Perseus and his 5 gallon with me and set it up at his house. Since I live back in the woods with so many trees power outages scare me during bad weather so keeping one tank warm is enough for me to handle and if I had more tanks and fish to worry about keeping warm I think I would totally freak out...*eyes my heat packs sitting close by* lol Anyway thats why I only have one fish right now plus he is enough to keep me happy and I also have my dog Barkley to take care of and they are both dearly loved !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:43 PM   #20 
justmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexx View Post
Ok so you all with 20+ (or 200+ O.o) how long does it take you to do water changes? cause it takes me like an hour and a half min to do mine.
I've got mine split so I never have to clean them all on one day. The way I have it I end up spending maybe 3 hours changing tanks a day. It would probably take me less, but things aren't step up well right now & I have tanks in 5 different rooms in the house, both upstairs and downstairs. All the up & down, back & forth with a 3 yr old trying to help extends the time. Being a homemaker I can take more time too, so I acclimate them very slowly each time. If I'm rushed I can usually get things done in a hour, 2 max.

It turns out that nothing is really stopping my house getting more though. My daughter bought herself a pretty yellow lady today & my mom added a nice white EE boy to the mix. Of course I will likely be the one changing them too.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote